How not to wire up an electric grill

Ok, ok, I lived in too many places. That confuses the tongue a bit. After a while you are fluent in many languages but none of them 100% "poifect".

But, quote: "beg the question, to assume the truth of the very point raised in a question."

I believe that definition hits it on the nail. My impression is that VLC doesn't really do what FlashPlayer is supposed to do. For example this morning someone in Europe had spooled that movie to MP4. VLC took it, showed the first (still) image. Then after finishing the download, poof, all gone. Downloaded it again to file, this time it worked.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Get mplayer. Works great even on downloaded Flash movies ripped from Firefox's cache.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

"z" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

It's earthed alrite - all the way back at the substation maybe a couple of km away. So it's not a good idea to touch the neutral.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Thanks. Lots of download sites. Do you know which one would be safe?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Western Europe nowadays has 230 volts, with one neutral conductor, connected to earth, and one live conductor, carrying 230 volts AC.

The pool situation could be extremely dangerous, even if the plastic insulation is perfect -- the whole setup acts as a giant capacitor, with roughly the following capacity:

mu0 x mur x A 8.9E-12 x 3.8 x 15 C = ------------- = ------------------ ~= 0.5uF d 1E-3 (with A in square meters, d in meters, and mur the relative mu of PVC)

This capacitor creates the necessary path to ground. At 50Hz and 115 volts (the resulting AC voltage with a 230 wire and a neutral wire under water), this capacitor would allow for an AC current of well over 10mA, a lot of which will flow through the body if positioned between the conductors and the pool floor. Although this is not considered immediately lethal, it will cause spasms and loss of muscle control, most probably resulting in drowning of the victim. Anyone getting within a meter or so from the wires would start feeling anything from slight tingling to severe discomfort. I'd recommend only foolish people do as shown in the picture, so as to improve the general level of intelligence of the human population.

Richard Rasker

--
http://www.linetec.nl/
Reply to

With Linux, they all are. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Mplayer. Go to the source page or get the subversion.

What makes you think any would be unsafe, and why do you not scan downloaded executables yourself, regardless of the source?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Hahahaha! First it was a field current, now it's a capacitor!

Jeez. Who is going to speculate next?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Ok, thanks.

I do. But just as with antibiotics a virus scanner is not a cure-all. Just like with real viruses there is that constant race between attackers and defenders. And there have been cases where helper routines have been distributed with malware inside.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"ChairmanOfTheBored" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

they are german - so they will be pissing in the pool too.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Helper routines? It is a single executable, and makes calls to libraries.

I think you have a slightly bent perception along these lines.

There is currently a PS3 ported version that allows one to hook up an XBox 360 HD-DVD player to the BluRay Sony PS3 product and decode and watch the HD-DVD films on a PS3.

It is mplayer subversion with key list files, and decoders. Linux relies on many libraries that get used by multiple apps (many player apps use the same libraries). There is even an installed version on the Knoppix LiveDVD you can check it out with that makes no writes to your HDs at all..

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Jailhouse coffee heater, called a Stinger...

Two tablespoons, separated by a couple rubber bands, tied together with some rubber bands, wired to the AC outlet.

Hot instant coffee water in a matter of seconds. Likely with a slightly rubbery taste.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Good point. That big surface area and thin dielectric are important. It occurs to me that the same consideration applies to a bathtub, which is usually of iron or steel, grounded at the drain outlet (unless it's a PVC drain), insulated by a porcelain layer. Assuming about 2 m^2 for area and thickness of 1.2 mm and dielectric constant of about 9 for the porcelain enamel (figures from the web), you'd have 8.9e-12 * 9 * 2 / 1.2e-3 = 0.13 uF. That could add significantly to currents carried directly to the metal drain.

--
John
Reply to

Safe... I think this one is safe.