Desoldering hook-up wire

from binding posts, turret tags, valve base terminals etc especially now with use of lead-free solder on otherwise 1950s wiring practise. Because of the extra temperature and heat involved it is no longer possible to grab the bared end with thin nose pliers ,to sufficiently heatsink and help in removing the wire. The sleeving will always melt and split etc. Any tips for doing so ,neatly, where there is not enough slack to cut the end off and resolder as a shorter wire.

The following does not stop the melting of the ends , but stops the splitting / obvious raggedness, any other advice?

Some PTFE , through chassis , press fit vias/terminals, for the PTFE only or some ptfe rod. Drilled axially to a range of diameters and split axially with a razor and then clamped to the sleeving with a scaled down clothes peg from toy/craft shop. Then soldering iron and dart point to extract the wire.

Anyone freeze the sleeving ?

While at it , for marking the board with single letters , to denote colour of wires before desoldering. Because of grey/green, brown/black/blue, purple/pink - I use V for vert, T for tan, N for noir,L for lilac (purple)

N Cook

I use a digital camera with good macro capability. That way there are no markings to rub off, or paper notes to lose. I copy the images to the computer, and leave them in the camera, as well. You can zoom in on the image if needed, and it is a lot faster than finding a spot to scribble a note on the chassis. Our assembly documentation, as well as test procedures used photos to show how the job was to be done when I worked in manufacturing.

Another advantage of taking photos is when you get something that was damaged, or modified. You pull up the old images and save hours at your bench.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whenever I do a disassembly, I record the entire process with my camcorder, which is on a tripod looking over my shoulder. I also narrate the trickier stuff.

Reply to
PanHandler