How to wire lights to flash when it a bass beat comes up

i wanna try to attach strobe and neon lights to my bass on my computer somehow so that they light up when it hits a strong bass note, i know i need some kinda of a sound/frequency/vibration sensor to detect the beats, but i dont know what to do from there (like how/where to conect everything), i have a fairly good and powerfull sound system on my computer too. and i want to play around with the thing so i can set how strong of a beat i want it to be to light up, i dont want the lights to be constantly flashing and giving everyone seisures

Reply to
unsuperman

Try l;ooking for "color organ" circuits. That was a 70s thing that was the laser light show of it's time. They basically broke the music spectrum down to 3 or 4 colors of light that lit with the beat.Some were pretty simple affairs with crude pass filters. You just need the low pass part. Basically you hit an SCR or Triac with the stuff that makes it under the low pass filter you choose.

Reply to
gfretwell

so basicaly buy one, take it apart and use the peices?

Reply to
unsuperman

so basicaly buy one, take it apart and use the peices?

Reply to
unsuperman

Here is what I did lately. It does 5 channels in sofware.

In your case, all you really need is a low-pass filter at about 150 Hz driving the lights. A real easy way to do this is to run another amplifier, crank up the bass boost, and use it to drive some 12 volt automotive tail lights (10 watts each).

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

LP Filter, followed by envelope detector, followed by a comparator with an adjustable threshold.

I have a schematic around here somewhere from my late '70's, early '80's disco boom-box days, but it's a blueprint.

I'll look for it and see if I can get a decent scan.

...Jim Thompson

See...

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: From S.E.D: How to wire lights to flash when it a bass beat comes up - ColorOrgan.pdf Message-ID:

...Jim Thompson

um sorry but that didnt help, there is no alt.binaries.schematics.electronic gruop...

Reply to
unsuperman

If your news provider doesn't carry alt.binaries.schematics.electronic you are missing out on a lot of posts.

However I've posted it to my website....

...Jim Thompson

wow thanks alot for all your help, but thats a bit too much for me, i dont wanna build a whole thing outta scratch and like pay a whole lot(up to 200$), plus i dont know how to read schematics very well cuz im only 15, it would help if u told me something more basic, thnx

Reply to
unsuperman

Two comments:

1) That's a really impressive analog design.

2) That's why I rather do it with software today.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

My impression is that Jim gets paid considerably more than most programmers do... I think I'd stick with the analog path... :-) (Granted, Bill Gates is the richest guy around, and he didn't need any more smarts than a sharp high-school kid to implement the technical parts of DOS...)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Or other many places with kits, or you may find some built ones also.

greg

Reply to
GregS

My impression is that Jim knows about 10 times what I do. However, what I do gets paid pretty well today if you do both software and the hardware behind it.

When I took up micros, I stopped learning much more about analog and digital logic design. Its a tradeoff, thats all. I like how much I can get done with very little effort. I was a big fan of Manard G. Krebbs.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

WORK!!!????!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Reply to
DaveM

Here are a few more that might be more to your liking...

Take your pick.. most are pretty simple, but will do what you want. If these are too complicated for you, and you don't think you could build the circuits, find a friend who does have the ability and watch and learn while he/she builds it. Might be a good time to start learning a very interesting trade.

Good luck.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

Some days you\'re the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM

Giving more credit than is due:

JeffM

[snip]

Only the uppermost row is the "beat" section, the rest are for a color organ/light chase.

For those of you familiar with the Phoenix area, this circuit and a boom box design went into the Bobby McGee's on I17 and (IIRC) Dunlap.

...Jim Thompson

Someone in the thread mentioned getting a kit. Here's one:

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

- Impressive. But if those are SSRs you're using for output (I didn't see a parts list,) then it couldn't do a real proportional output. Except in a rough, time-proportioning way, which is fine for industrial heaters, but maybe not so good for visual presentation.

Insanity is the inability to either tolerate or create ambiguity.
Reply to
Palinurus