how can we reduce traffic jams on the roads

Naah, Just ship the US to the moon, solve 25% of the world's pollution crisis at a stroke

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

But, Joe, I said nothing about universality of application, or equality of implementation. I simply said nothing else has ever worked.

jp

Reply to
John Perry

It's probably important to note that many areas of the US are introducing intersections they call "roundabouts" to differentiate them from traffic circles, as there are significant differences:

Like this one in Kansas? (4 x 4 lanes)

US drivers may need time to get use to the idea before you attempt anything like "The Magic Roundabout":

F.

Drop \'.invalid\'  and remove 888 to reply by email
Reply to
Fermi

2-lane roundabouts have been standard in the UK for decades, fed from 2-lane or 4-lane highways. You must get in the correct lane on the approach to the roundabout though.
--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

M-R's are a brilliant idea. If a driver wants to turn right or left at the junction he can choose to go clock/anticlock, whichever is the shortest way around the roundabout.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

I was only pointing out that it does not always work. Other things must go right also.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.

Nope. If you read it you would find that 133rd and Lamar is 2 by 2 not 4 by

4.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.
--Shiller
Reply to
Joseph2k

The arrows painted on the ground must be critical. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But the picture is of 110th and Lamar.

4 x 4 is very common. Roundabouts with more lanes aren't rare either.

9 square kilometres and you need more than two hands to count the roundabouts:
?X=407500&Y=287500&A=Y&Z=3
--
F.

Drop \'.invalid\'  and remove 888 to reply by email
Reply to
Fermi

I use the M-R at Hemel Hempstead which (afair) doesn't have any arrows painted on the ground. Which wouldn't help you in the UK's heavy trafffic anyway, because you wouldn't know you were in the wrong lane until the vehicle in front moved off the arrow.

A search on "Magic Roundabout" +"Hemel Hempstead" produces a few articles, inc a useful one from Wikipedia. The contra-rotating M-R nicely solves Hemel's problem of 6 roads intersecting at one place.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

This weekend I found the round bumps in the middle of each mini-roundabout were road surface coloured rather than the usual contrasting white, guess work has been done. So you had to pick your way around each imaginary centre mark. Now *that* must *really* confuse drivers new to the thing. But it really is a great solution to the issue there.

Steve

(Hemel Hemsptead, UK)

Reply to
Steve

OMG! I can just imagine that thing in Boston. Where is the 18 (or

26) wheeler in that picture?
--
  Keith
Reply to

Looks like Germany is the only place I'm going to be comfortable renting a car ;-)

...Jim Thompson

               The harder I work the luckier I get.

Heavy trucks are mainly kept out of town centres here.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ah, you only put these abominations downtown? You don't really have all that much traffic going through them then. How do you supply the shops in the "city centre"? Off-load to small trucks? Seems pretty inefficient.

--
  Keith
Reply to

anything

Many of the bigger stores are outside the centre too.

Delivery trucks to stores are typically intermediate sized trucks anyway. The big rigs mainly serve distrubution centres.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear