how can we reduce traffic jams on the roads

OR, on where you are...

Many moons ago, I was visiting DC, and tried that. I ended up in Virginia...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Though I was born in DC, I've only been through there (downtown) once as an adult.

Middle of the night. Got lost driving cross-town and stopped and asked a cabbie for directions to Arlington.

He said, "Follow me" !!!

Took me right to the bridge.

I was astonished... just try that in Boston ;-)

...Jim Thompson

               The harder I work the luckier I get.

That's only because leftist weenies each vote three times. ..even after death.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Well, they're not the ones that got caught stuffing the ballot box the last couple of times.

Cheers! Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to

Cite! No weenie innuendo either.

--
  Keith
Reply to

In Chicago and Boston ;-)

...Jim Thompson

               The harder I work the luckier I get.

Robinson R22 chopper :-)

Reply to
:-)

there should be a law passed that anytime a new traffic signal is installed within say 1000 feet of an existing signal, that the new signal MUST be synchronized to the existing signal... even a simple system like the both go green/red together will prevent you from having to stop at both of them...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I forgot to add...if you want to save oil, I can't think of a better way...

our wonderfull govt officials have no problem making us pay to have our vehicles inspected every year....why not put some requirments on the road infrastructure as well...my car gets great mileage when I don't have to stop and start every minute...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

In which direction?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

check out the following:

mi_qa3734/is_199702/ai_n8736479
acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ Fuel-Efficient+Traffic+Signal+Management+Program%2FProject

from the first two pages of a single google search.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.

But did you pay any attention to the distinctions on how well it worked and the boundaries where was marginal at best? Check what happened in Los Angeles when they went high rise with office space only.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.
--Shiller
Reply to
Joseph2k

Traffic circles work well in certain limited circumstances. They do not work worth a damn for 4 lane highways though. That is why you do not see tham for two intersecting 4 lane highways. (4 lanes is 2 lanes in each direction)

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.
--Shiller
Reply to
Joseph2k

They seem to work well enough here in the UK.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Not in Boston or SanFransisco they don't. In Boston it sometimes takes 5. In San Fransisco, all the streets are one way in the other direction.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Check out the number of votes cast in the house republican's election of a new leader. So lets see if Rich can come up with one example.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

if the lights turn green and red together (i.e. at the same time) , then it will work in both directions, you will never get stopped by 2 adjacent lights in a row...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Make gas $10/gal. I am sure traffic will really drop.

Al

Reply to
Al

Naaah! Just ship all the leftist weenies to Antarctica to watch the ice melt ;-)

...Jim Thompson