How can one make Webex work more reliable?

Same here, but not while on the road. Then I only do other client's stuff while at the hotel or if the client I am at is informaed about this and that it'll be on someone else's clock. Then of course I only use my computer.

I rarely get involved in IC design so my sims are usually easier.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sometimes I do have to access Asian component mfg sites. That's where it can happen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There is probably a setting that enables it. My thinking was that if everyone was having the problem then perhaps the customer (who is paying) should get on the horn to Cisco and squeak loudly.

If all these other folks are having the same problem I dont think you are going to find a silver bullet. It could be your provider peering with Cisco's cloud. It could be the customer's router/firewall. If the customer is valuable enough you might try one of the pay-as-you-go mobile broadband services. If it works use this just for Webex. If you do not have to show your desktop or apps, try the next meeting on a laptop at some place that has internet access. See if that is better.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

It's mostly just me where it won't connect at all so I don't really want to bother them. But I'll try if they could convince Cisco to talk to me even thuogh I am not a direct-revenue party for Cisco.

It could likely be mine. But since Webex will absolutely not leave and error messages I can't say. It's like driving without a dashboard.

Can't do that, I need access to a lot of stuff and sometimes even my lab bench. I think the coffee shop would mind if I started schlepping in analyzers, scopes and other stuff :-)

There is no reliable broadband wireless in this area AFAIK. There is Comcast but last time I called they said I'd also have to take their (expensive and to me nonsensical) cable TV package. No way.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

hang

"ca-ching".

Moreover send them an email telling that you are billing them for waiting for their chosen service to connect. See how long it remains = unaddressed.

Not that this isn't a bit dangerous reputation wise, but make it clear that are burning up your time with negative results. "Thou shalt not annoy the worker you are paying by the hour by causing idle time."

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

=20

Bull roar. I have the same provider restrictions you have (same = provider, same regulators) and i use whatever DNS server i want. Solved a lot of weird problems by going to a RELIABLE DNS provider.

Reply to
josephkk

I had the same thought, AT&T DNS servers are cached off of LEVEL3's.

Martin Riddle

I use Open DNS.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Install wireshark so you can show them what your end is doing,

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

It goes through the same physical servers first. Those that belong to or are leased by AT&T. So now I should plunk down a lot of extra money just to see if the problem is between the 17th and 18th terminal block?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That is not the proper way to proceed with such issues :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"ca-ching".

waiting

unaddressed.

That depends an awful lot on the kind of people that you are dealing = with. Some people/organizations don't respond until becomes "their" money. It also depends on how much you want their continued business.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

to=20

coast,

provider,

of

Could you kindly explain how changing DNS servers is going to cost you money? It is a setting you can control.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:20:47 -0700, Joerg wrote: [snip]

Joerg, I dont think it will make much of a difference, but as a test you could try and disable the DNS caching client in XP. If Webex is still doing some type of load balancing with DNS it might help.

Go to the traditional control panel then Administrator Tools -> Services -> DNS Client and double click change Startup Type to disabled click apply click stop click close

--
Joe Chisolm
Republic of Texas

First they'd have to talk to me :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's a very good company, and great people.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I don't know much about this stuff but AFAIK I was assigned a server by Pacific Bell which over the years became SBC and then AT&T. That server is in San Francisco. When it was down I was able to use the one in Los Angeles but none of the others from AT&T.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Ok, thanks, I just did that. Got another Webex session this afternoon, we'll see :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Didn't work. Today the usual happened: Screen comes up that says "Meeting in progress", otherwise remains blank, while the others could see the shared desktop. No error messages whatsoever on my side, Webex just sat there dead in the water. Then about 15mins into the meeting "loading .. loading", up comes the shared desktop and it started working. In that whole time I have not changed a thing on the computer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

up to=20

coast,

provider,

of

or

just

Well with this search string "how to change dns setting in windows xp" I got the following good links: =20

on the first page.

Of course if you need it for Win 7 it showed up as well: =20 =09

Your choice really.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk