One touch can opener

Hi I have a one touch electric can opener (that no longer works). How it (used to) work:

-Place on a can

-Press switch (momentary) From there on it turned and cut off the top of the can and stopped when finished. I curious about how it worked. Specfically: How does the momentary switch "latch" or stay closed. (There aren't any electronic ics). Batteries then turn gears till the cutting is completed. Somehow a gear (I think) breaks the circuit and opearations is ended. The entire circuit is 2 AA batteries (3 volts), a motor, gears and switches. No electronics or digital logic. Thanks BobP122

Reply to
BobP122

Does it have a magnetic lid holder? ISTR we had one like that many many years ago, and it looked like the lid being removed released the lid holder arm, which presumably disengaged some kind of pawl.

But I'm basically guessing here.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No. What he is asking is what causes it to come on from a single touch, since their is no mechanical switch. And what makes it shut off, since there are no electronics either.

Are there any 'smarts' in the ass end of the motor?

Reply to
Jupiter Jaq

A torque switch in the motor ?

don

Reply to
don

From

According to the last reference, the 'onetouch' cuts beneath the lid and not through the top. Probably the switch pushed a cutter into the side of the can and also turned on a switch for the motor. The cutter would then stay engaged until it had cut through the entire periphery of the can, whereupon the cutter would disengage and the motor would stop.

I have a manually operated can opener that used to uncrimp the seam of the top of the can, and it would then lift off with no sharp edges, and the lid could even be replaced if you only used part of the contents. But it seems to have lost its mojo and now I have a simple manual can opener. I don't use canned items too often, and sometimes I have just used a Swiss army knife. I even have an old GI issue P-38 that is the ultimate in simplicity and function:

There was an old joke that said you can drink one beer and then pee 38.

And you could just eat lots of spinach, like Popeye, and just squeeze the can open:

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Look. What part of ONE TOUCH, as in NO MOVING PARTS do you not get?

No, not the opener itself... the SWITCH has NO moving parts.

It is a soft switch, in fact.

SO the damned thing has to have some brains.

Reply to
Jupiter Jaq

But there are switches. He said "The entire circuit is 2 AA batteries (3 volts), a motor, gears and switches."

Doubtful. My guess of how it works:

S1 S2 +------ -------+----+ | ^---+---^ | | --- | __ | | - +---o o---+ | --- PB [Motor] - | | | +-------------------------+

S1 is the can detect switch, S2 is the cutter switch, and PB is the momentary start switch. When opener is placed on can, S1 closes. When PB is pressed, motor runs, pulling cutter into can and closing S2. The opener runs until the lid is separated from the body. The magnet lifts the lid, opening S1, so the thing stops.

The above is my speculation - I don't own one of these openers. I'm guessing that there is a cutter switch, based on the op mentioning "switches".

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The opener I have has a pivoted arm connected to the cutter. Pressing the arm down momentarily closes the switch. That starts the motor, and the drag on the cutter holds the arm down, keeping the switch pressed. When the lid has been completely cut, there is no more drag on the cutter, allowing the arm to lift.

That's a single switch implementation, but it's easy to imagine a similar mechanism where there there is a pivoted arm, inside the appliance, connected to the cutter, which activates a separate momentary action switch wired in parallel with the first.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else