How to make USB ports more zap resistant?

Several months ago, a port on an NEC-based USB card failed (a section of its LM3526 power controller & overcurrent protection chip blew), and just recently the same happened to an ALI-based USB card. I'm pretty sure I didn't zap either card with high voltage because I always touch the outer metal shell of the USB connector to bare metal on the computer case before plugging it in.

Each USB port has a 100-220 uF aluminum capacitor across its +5V and ground lines, and the NEC-based card also had a ceramic chip capacitor in parallel. Is there anything I can change or add to protect USB ports better? Does it help to use tantalum or low ESR aluminum capacitors? I installed tantalums on my other USB cards just after the NEC card blew.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

How does that help when a powered hub costs as much as a PCI USB card and has ports that are just as vulnerable to zapping as the card's?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

section

and

pretty

touch

capacitor

the

is this with various USB devices or one in particular? I have yet to do harm to any USB port, on even my oldest machine. All kinds of different devices- DC's, printers, keyboard/mice, speakers, sound devices, USB LAN converters etc.

Reply to
JAD

.... | in parallel. Is there anything I can change or add to protect USB | ports better? Does it help to use tantalum or low ESR aluminum ....

Use a powered hub.

NSM

Tantalum caps are inclined to explode.

John

Because a powered hub can support a higher load per port than a PCI/Onboard USB card.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Reply to
Conor

That's a mischaracterization.

When they *fail*, they tend to 'splode. But they don't tend to fail if the application is appropriate...

/daytripper

Reply to
daytripper

similar to this one,

1/4 cup liquid fabric softener 1/4 cup ammonia 2 cups water

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Get the same effect with liquid fabric softener one part to four parts water in a spray bottle.

Works great, smells great. :)

Reply to
ToolPackinMama

| How does that help when a powered hub costs as much as a PCI USB card | and has ports that are just as vulnerable to zapping as the card's?

What is zapping these? This seems to be unusual? Is the grounding OK on your systems?

NSM

The NEC card's port blew when I tried a thumb drive, the ALi card with a Netgear wireless LAN adapter. Neither of those devices was damaged.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Everything is grounded to earth, and I ground the USB connector to the computer case just before plugging it into the port.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I'm in Arizona and haven't used any heat yet, and the indoor humidity was 20% even when it was 4% outdoors (measured with wet and dry bulb thermometers). I'm sure that the zaps weren't from high voltage (I touch metal to metal before plugging anything in) but from high current.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

It's winter time in the Great White North. -35'C overnight but it has warmed up all the way to -22'C so far this afternoon.

I hate this time of the year because I have to deal with all the friends, friends-of-friends, etc., who fry keyboards, mice, PS/2 ports, and USB ports simply by sitting down to use their computer in a room with 15% relative humidity.

Doesn't matter how often you warn them to use a humidifier. The knowledge /you/ have acquired over the years means nothing to them until /after/ they fry something. At which point they wonder why you never warned them about it before.

Reply to
Rob Stow

| It's winter time in the Great White North. -35'C overnight but | it has warmed up all the way to -22'C so far this afternoon. | | I hate this time of the year because I have to deal with all the | friends, friends-of-friends, etc., who fry keyboards, mice, PS/2 | ports, and USB ports simply by sitting down to use their computer | in a room with 15% relative humidity. | | Doesn't matter how often you warn them to use a humidifier. The | knowledge /you/ have acquired over the years means nothing to | them until /after/ they fry something. At which point they | wonder why you never warned them about it before.

Radio Shack used to sell 'Anti Static Spray' which, AFAIK, was a detergent solution you sprayed on the carpet. Also, ISTR some sort of grounding pad you could get which you touched before touching the computer. I suppose some sort of USB spike suppressor is possible but I haven't seen one so far.

Even in the Lower Mainland, BC, it's -6 C. We don't care for that sort of thing in Lotus Land. Even the freaks are staying indoors.

NSM

Wow, -6 degrees. I feel sorry for you folks; must be terrible! Shall we send emergency aid? :)

Come and visit Winnipeg. -29 now (mid afternoon; with -34 forecast for tonight. And that doesn't include the windchill... with it it will drop to the mid -40's :

Seriously though, if the OP lost two usb ports in as many weeks, I'd be guessing that he's either extremely unlucky, or more likely should be looking at what he's plugging into them.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

....and you don't buy shit. They do get grumpy when inserted backwards though. That was the real problem thirty years ago. Tants are expensive though and thus the cheaper leaking aluminums.

--
  Keith
Reply to

When it gets as cold as it has been today, it is not unusual to have 80% r.h. outdoors, but 10% to 15% indoors if a humidifier is not used. You drink a *lot* of water when you visit someone who doesn't use a humidifier.

At such places, it is not unusual to see huge freaking blue-white sparks fly if you walk across a carpet and then reach out towards something grounded.

Dogs learn quickly to stay away from children. ;-)

Reply to
Rob Stow

No no need to panic. The cold spell has ended and it is raining and 6 degrees out. Luckily the rain is now melting that snow we had. We have bylaws outlawing snow here. Snow is for the rest of the country. We don't allow it here.

Only fools and my brother and sister live in Winterpeg. There is a reason it is called winterpeg.

Reply to
Lee Waun

Just for grins, how do you handle your plumbing to keep it from freezing?

Reply to
Dave VanHorn