Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query

SUHL: Sylvania's Universal High?Level Logic

Premiered 1963. Was used for the control computer, a Bailey 855, at Three-Mile Island. 855's were still in production in 1979.

The 855 was a 25 bit machine, 4 digits and a sign, with a front panel switch to put it in binary mode. RTOS in hardware: the machine ran three tasks by having the whole machine state continuously swapped on and off a magnetic drum. Rugged: 3/8-16 bolts held the cards in; Rivets instead of plated through holes;

4x4x1/4 steel box channel for the frame.

-- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics. Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com psst.. want to buy an f-stop timer? nolindan.com/da/fstop/

Reply to
Nicholas O. Lindan

Hi Win Another daft suggestion : How about making the 3rd Edition all new material (like Maxim databooks) not all the old stuff with a few bits deleted and new stuff added on (Like National Semi databooks). I'm sure you two have enough accumulated wisdom to test the strength of the average coffee table already so why go over the old stuff, the serious punter will already have the 2nd edition, and if not, you get to sell 2 books instead of 1. M

Reply to
Mike Diack

Special Theory of Relativity Cosmic Microwave Background

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

They cannot be independent given that em fields are supposed to behave the same in all inertial frames. c = const follows automatically

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I read in sci.electronics.design that Nicholas O. Lindan wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu, 23 Dec 2004:

Didn't help, did it! Might as well have been a breadboard. (;-)

John Woodgate

The CMB doesn't have uniform phase or polarisation, so I suppose it's not a single frame and not inertial. Can it possibly be inertial unless the original emission was from an inertial body? It came from different paces in the fireball. Were they so close together that they could not have relative accelerations?

John Woodgate
[...]

I forgot to mention one detail - the reply address in spammotel stopped working for some reason. So to reply to an email, just copy the person's email address to the "mailto" box in your email client. Your reply will go directly to the person instead of through spammotel's servers.

Also, you probably want to remove the spammotel header info from your reply - that would only confuse the recipient:)

Best,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

I assume that if one is travelling through it fast it looks different ahead to what it does behind.

" If the Earth moves with respect to the microwave background, it will be blue shifted to a higher effective temperature in the direction of the Earth's motion and red shifted to a lower effective temperature in the direction opposite the Earth's motion. "

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

The student manual was a must-have in the case of AofE. No question.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I read in sci.electronics.design that Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu, 23 Dec 2004:

Sure, but when discussing the CMB, we assume that such effects are corrected for. They would rather have to be, considering that the temperature variations have been plotted to 0.001 K or less.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Mike Monett wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu, 23 Dec 2004:

H'mm; I don't operate a spam filter locally now, because my ISP operates a Bright mail filter at that end. I used Mailwasher before that, but it's double work to check the filtering and then download.

Thanks for the information. I will probably have to go down that route at some point.

John Woodgate

Better than... Both my 1st and 2nd editions have broken spines and I treated them reasonably well -- just a lot of opening and closing.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Hi Win,

FPGAs are what's popular in the industry right now. Perhaps, in addition to your usual detailed description, some discussion on how a poor starving student or hobbyist could get started working with them (if this is actually possible).

Also, although I'm a bit biased in this area (because I once did it for a living), I'd like to see a bit more on magnetics. Not only transformers and inductors, but some of the more complex stuff like magamps. I'm afraid some of this stuff will be mostly forgotten in another generation if someone doesn't keep it alive.

Thanks, Big John

W> All I can say for our book is we worked hard on it, and it has to stand

Reply to
Big John

That's the point. How can we correct if we do not have a universal frame of reference ie the CMB? Otherwise all frames would be equivalent - which they aren't.

Hence the notion that all frames are equivalent is not intuitive.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I second the recommendation for BurchEd.

Wasn't it Woody Allen who said he would rather achieve immortality through not dying?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Personally I'd love the whole thing to be on a CDROM because I have to move lodgings from time to time and books account for about a third of the mass. Possessions become a millstone sometimes.

I found a Deja-Vu format scan of The A of E which allows me to archive my paper copy, but it isn't great quality scan and I don't have time to OCR and format the lot.

I think the stuff that changes over time should be put on line. e.g. the list of preferred commonly used parts.

Reply to
Kryten

I'd like excess room (margins) on the pages to write some notes. This shouldn't cost all that much in terms of editing time, of course, but it will cost paper. There's an example which illustrates exactly what I mean as well as another idea

-- adding selected comments from students who have used sections of earlier versions on similar topics -- in the book from Graham, Knuth, and Patashnik called "Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science".

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

"Winfield Hill" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com...

It is a compression format, in the same way as JPEG and GIF are. It is optimised for printed material where you tend to get text on a background image. The text is digitised at 300 dpi monochrome lossless, and the background at

100 dpi lossy. Good for documents where you don't want artefacting in the text and don't mind minor loss of detail in the background parchment.

The A of E compressed to 15 MBytes.

I shan't say where I found it on this public newsgroup lest people download it instead of buying it.

It doesn't harm your income if people have paid to read the contents already (as I did) but of course some people might not be so decent.

I sent you an email about this matter recently, though perhaps your spam filtering blocked it.

If you have a keyword I can put in the subject line, I can resend it.

Perhaps you could let a few Harvard students/lecturers maintain it. After all, an EE department has to maintain teaching materials on an ongoing basis.

Or alternatively let a few respected suppliers maintain the details in return for allowing a link to their site. Digikey in the USA, or RS/Farnell in the UK for example. Often you can tell what is popular by the stock levels. Suppliers are not inclined to buy lots of pieces of items that sell very few.

Reply to
Kryten

I'd recommend the BurchEd board, for all the reasons listed here:

Unlike other boards, it doesn't cram in loads of features that you may not need. Instead, you just buy the add-ons you do need, or make them yourself. You can re-use it for project after project, or even build it into commercial projects as a subcomponent.

I could afford it, and I'm a tightwad.

In fact I could even afford to buy a second one as a spare to use if I ever sent the main one back for _free_ FPGA replacement.

Might be wise to keep the most frequently used stuff in the CD and not the paper book. Just to keep the paper part within reason.

Idea: perhaps people could be invited to write text about their own particular gems of knowledge. In the style of A of E, and placed in the CD if considered good enough. The prize would be having one's words absorbed into this prestigious work. Win and Paul to judge?

Other books have also been maintained and grown long after the original authors. It would be great to have one's major written work grow and thrive long after one's own death. Most books gradually fade into obsolescence.

Reply to
Kryten

Isn't it interesting you don't find a lot of Christian or Ayn Rand on pirate sharing sites? Something to do with certain of us have a scavenger rather than a predator demeanor regarding intellectual property.

But when it comes to Democrats and university profs that 'earn' their living off extorted tax revenue, I think they have a moral obligation to altuistically sacrifice their creativity to the good of the collective that they send government goons out to rape and pillage.

They hold up puss-oozing sores for the shamed masses to lick, let them shower the guilty masses with their profundities freely! Let them inspire me with their generous altruism, rather than their guilt and shame!

It an honor to pay an honest person what he's worth. Some we can't pay enough! Others, like universities and national labs, can't think of enough excuses to tax, loot, squander and spoil to glorify the god of waste!

Reply to
Scott Stephens