*** START QUOTE ***

From: Sebastian Gottschalk Newsgroups: sci.crypt Subject: Re: How ancient is the LFSR idea? Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:53:36 +0100 Message-ID: References:

Guy Mac> I have been able to track the basic idea of PRNG using a shift

The theories about extension fields to Galoi fields appeard about at the beginning of the 19th century at Gauss and Euler. The idea of using the theorey to make better LFSR-based PRNG indeed first appeard in 1967. In times before, LFSRs were pure pseudo-science.

*** END QUOTE ***
Reply to
Guy Macon

And maybe a CD with some interesting freebies

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I read in sci.electronics.design that Winfield Hill wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu, 23 Dec 2004:

An article on PRBS technique by F Butler in Wireless World February 1975 cites two papers, one in Electronics June 23 1961 and one in Radio and Electronic Engineer September 1972.

The feedback tap table in the Butler article is wrong and was corrected about a year later in the Letters section.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu, 23 Dec 2004:

You missed explaining the abbreviation CMB.

John Woodgate

Me too! I'd also appreciate an electronic edition.

I understand the reasons for not providing one, but it means that I tend to end up scanning books like this that I reference often anyway, so I don't have to carry around my library everywhere I go.

I note that searching on "Art of Electronics" on a peer-peer network does not result in no results. (something that I find a pity).

It's worth noting that in some cases, publishers that make available electronic editions relatively inexpensively (Baen) are not posted very often on the ebooks groups, and requests tend to be met with "buy it, it's cheap".

I wonder about a live online version, but that'd be a LOT of work.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Not necessarily. One may just recombine existing knowledge in previously undiscovered ways. That amounts to the equivalent of a massive cross-correlation operation, which involves a great deal of number crunching but no randomness.

Many inventions are not at all evolutionary, in the sense that they did not get invented by any mutation of existing inventions followed by some selection process. Some inventions had no predecessor in the field of work, but popped up by this cross-correlation process, perhaps with inputs from fields unrelated to the implementation technology.

John

Maybe not. Put the old edition online in HTML. Get money from ads and use it as a hook to get people to buy the latest edition.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I read in sci.electronics.design that Mike Monett wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu, 23 Dec 2004:

For me, it would be a MAJOR problem to change my email address. Over 200 people, all over the world, have it and use it legitimately (which is not unusual but it indicates the magnitude of the problem). Experience of colleagues who have had their addresses changed by Corporate IT is that they are still missing messages a year later.

John Woodgate

What's a Deja-Vu format scan, and where did you find it?

That's a good idea, but it assumes we'll keep it up to date.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Well, I've been using my email address for several years and get around 100 pieces of crap per day. It's no big deal to filter them at the ISP using Mailwasher.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Right. We told our publishers the binding needs to be improved. But they were surprised; apparently most books don't get such heavy use.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I read in sci.electronics.design that Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu, 23 Dec 2004:

You must spend a fortune on toilet paper. (;-)

John Woodgate

Not at all. "Invention" is coming up with something new. The only way to produce something new, i.e. something that is not deducible from prior information is by randomness. Constructing random generators is a science.

yes you do. Its the way it *is* done by all of us. Its how the brain actually works. The brain is a Darwinian processor. Everything you think do and say is based on random variation, selection and replication. There is nothing more.

It don't take long at all, and dont miss anything. Any idea you ever had was the result of the Darwinian process. Its what we are.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

An example of Lamarack evolution is, of course, memetic evolution.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

I have to disagree here. It is certainly not self-evident based on the equivalence of inertial reference frames. The speed of light is not a constant in Newtonian mechanics, yet it satisfies the same relativity postulate as special relativity does.

SR is based on two *independent* axioms, none of which are derivable from the other, That is, 1) equivalence of inertial frames and 2) the invariance of the speed of light.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward
[...]

Brightmail is great. Sympatico started using it a while ago and the spam dropped by several orders of magnitude. Even better, it stays at a low level so my spam filter takes only a few milliseconds. Also, there are no more funny attachments with "MZ" at the start:)

[...]

Let us know if it works.

Best,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

I read in sci.electronics.design that Kevin Aylward wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu,

23 Dec 2004:

Kevin, I don't mean that SR is self-evident, but that the equivalence of inertial reference frames may be considered self-evident on the grounds that they can't be distinguished by any known means.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Kevin Aylward wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu,

23 Dec 2004:

Is that evolution? Is a meme more like a (benign?) virus than a gene?

When will we progress to Limerick evolution through Kevin's quantum orthography? (;-)

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Kevin Aylward wrote (in ) about 'Horowitz-Hill: Serious scholarly query', on Thu,

23 Dec 2004:

But that is a very radical definition of 'invention'. Many inventions ARE deducible from prior information, either with difficulty or not. In the latter case, the recognized inventor was just the one who 'got there first'. Both the telephone and the incandescent lamp are examples.

John Woodgate