Holes in Plates

Ah, I see. Keep the supports from sending back stuff that gets past the suppressor grid??

...Jim Thompson

Ah! The K'dink effect! When the plate voltage gets high enough, the electrons crash into it so hard that they actually knock atoms loose from the plate. Then, when these atoms from the plate hit the glass envelope, they go, "k'dink!". ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

I remember the suppressor grid from my Navy electronics school tube-section final exam. The correct answer is D: all of the above.

Reply to
Richard Henry

There was that and also something about preventing small amounts of residual ionized gas molecules which would then accelerate towards and impact the cathode reducing its working lifetime.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Rich,

Actually, the answer is in your post in another thread, where you mentioned a degausser. The holes in the tubes mentioned in the post are ... degassers!

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr