dental burrs for drilling holes in pc board

I hear dental burrs are superb for hand drilling holes in circuit board material. I went to a local dentist's office this afternoon and asked for some of their used dental burrs. Either they were afraid of violating some regulation or just didn't want to deal with me, anyway I got a "no." I've looked on the internet for information on the regulation of dental waste. The gov't regulates mercury amalgam disposal but I can't find anything about dental burrs. There must be some approach I can use that doesn't trigger an automatic refusal.

Reply to
kell

I hear dental burrs are superb for hand drilling holes in circuit board material. I went to a local dentist's office this afternoon and asked for some of their used dental burrs. Either they were afraid of violating some regulation or just didn't want to deal with me, anyway I got a "no." I've looked on the internet for information on the regulation of dental waste. The gov't regulates mercury amalgam disposal but I can't find anything about dental burrs. There must be some approach I can use that doesn't trigger an automatic refusal.

Reply to
kell

I ordered mine online from these guys:

The page you're interested in is:

hope this helps

-- hotkey

Reply to
hotkey

The used ones are resharpend and sold for other uses. I was in a place in Trenton, Ohio that resharpened all kinds of burrs. The were called Deburr.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
kell

Have you told them it is for electronic work rather than DIY dentistry?

Reply to
Mark Fortune

BUR - one R - makes a difference when you Google.

I found it confusing when I was trying to buy them a couple of years ago. Still is, to me. But here's a site that may help:

I wish I could remember the size I bought. They had sizes like 1/2, 1, 2 etc. I think it was a size 1. In any event, the tip is spherical and the thing works like a dream in my Dremel. If you figure out the sizes, please post! As I recall, different manufacturers have different size codes.

Also, the place I bought from had a minimum order of $25.00, as I recall. So if you can understand the sizes, you should buy something for small leads like on 1/8 watt resistors, and something a bit bigger for say 1/2 watt resistor leads. I need to rummage around in my other PC to see if I have a record - if I do I'll post the details.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ed, a previous poster gave a link

with better prices and they give actual sizes in mm and thous. Just thought I'd let you know in case you're going to be in the market for burs again. I haven't ordered anythig from them yet.

Reply to
kell

I sent you an e-mail on this - did you get it? Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ed I just answered your e-mail. Thanks.

Kell