Holes in Plates

I'm not familiar with those particular tubes you mention, but beam power tube plates are often made of two different pieces that are attached to each other by bending tabs in piece "A" through slots in piece "B". I see this in several 807's and 6146's I have on my desk at the moment (they're usually RF tubes, not audio, but they are beam power tubes.)

These holes usually aren't in the parts getting the beam but are external. I mean, you cannot see the cathode through the holes, you just see out the glass on the other side.

If you look at the holes (look at both sides!) do you see any such attaching-two-parts tabs in your tubes?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Sno-o-o-o-ort!

Perhaps the holes are to let AIR flow through ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I was just about to opine that myself. Seems logical that alignment could be heat-dependent.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

folks here who actually know the answer !

That's about the age I made the move ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hurricane lamps?

--
  Keith
Reply to

To reduce deformation due to heat?

--
 Keith
Reply to

... to reduce the cyclic stresses and metal fatigue caused by such inevitable deformation during uneven heating. A correctly placed perforation can greatly reduce the chance of metal cracking.

Reply to
John Popelish

Presumably the ones without holes only use electrons.

Reply to
Paul Burke

The holes may help prevent the formation of hot spots - just a guess.

Reply to
richard mullens

Wasn't thinking of that - perhaps to make the valve more linear by creating more paths for the current to avoid saturation effects.

But I moved from valves to transistors when I was 13 - there must be some older folks here who actually know the answer !

Reply to
richard mullens

They may have been used for location purposes during the forming process. It's a precision form of construction.

Reply to
Reg Edwards

Bwahahahaha!

...Jim Thompson

Since we're all guessing, I'm going with thermal stress relief. :-)

Or, since the plates are made of a special alloy of mysterium and unobtanium, it's to save material to make more anodes with - maybe they use the little circles to make nuvistors!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

No, no, no! It's those little disks at the ends of the filament in that split-anode 5C39 or whatever it was! Yeah, that's it!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

Reposted from "rec.audio.tubes" :

** Why do some plate structures in power tubes have holes.

A quick survey of my own stock showed:

6V6GTA Sovtek = no holes

5881 Sovtek = 4 vertical slots

6L6GC Sylvania = no holes

6CA7 Sylvania = 6 round holes

6550C Svetlana = 6 horizontal slots

6L6 WXT Sovtek = 6 round holes

EL34 EH = 4 horizontal slots

In each case, the holes are exactly aligned on opposite sides of the plate with the cathode structure on axis.

Please do not suggest it is for ventilation or cooling ;-)

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For jigging in assembly ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Tim Shoppa"

** The holes are squarely aligned.

The cathode is visible in each case.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

To mash the potatoes.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Nah- it was discovered early on that the holes reduce secondary-emission and its noise effects- all of this is late 19th century stuff.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

They're not called "holes" BTW- it is perforation.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs