History question - RCA

I didn't say "last good product" (there are still good products with the RCA name) -- I meant technological innovation.

Reply to
mc

Using "it is" to mean "its" is quite innovative.

Except the FET came first....

Nah, corporate welfare in the form of huge weapons contracts is what made electronics popular enough to *be* a consumer item in the first place.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

out

Dunno -- the "as of five years ago" qualifier was because that's the last time I paid any attention to the issue.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

The RCA TTU-25, the first of the high powered UHF TV transmitters.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The thing about the early transistor and LED discoveries (1907, I think) is that they were essentially accidental and the mechanisms were not understood, so weren't repeatable enough to be useful. The Bell Labs transistors, and the first real LEDs, were predicted by theory, deliberately invented, and changed the world.

John

So, would that make dimBulb a "Laugh Emitting Dummy"?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No. GE sold the TV line (consumer electronics et al) to Thomson SA a few years back, but GE was the first ones to buy RCA up.

So SOME of RCA got sold to them, but not nearly all of it, and certainly not the biggest chunks.

They broke it up into pieces.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Wrong. ANY manufacturer of ANY product that is intended to be sold in Europe MUST be compliant. That was a couple years ago deadline.

There are a few exceptions, but I am only familiar with the military exemptions.

The military of ALL nations has exemptions if they are US allies.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

So how do you define the word "unimportant"?

Also, there are NO new products from RCA now. RCA no longer exists as anything other than a brand name on consumer electronic products.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

No. The idea and the patent for the FET came first, but the actual product was long after.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You're a goddamned retard. DIE ALREADY, will you?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

A technological *retreat* was when they took the Tiny Basic as created by Tom Pittman and added bugs to it (it originally was bug free).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I remember the COSMAC processor, and SOI pionered by RCA...

Jure Z.

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

Well, here is what they think they did, that was important:

David DiGiacomo

Since it has been owned by GE for the last decade, I hardly think you can actually call it RCA that did the work since then.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

ChairmanOfTheBored hath wroth:

Not exactly. The RCA name for all RCA consumer electronics formerly belonged to Thomson-SA which recently sold the RCA name to Audiovox:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Except that the post was referring to the Sarnoff group, dipshit.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored