high voltage LDO

Grin. I was thinking last night (in regards to power supplies) that there are no (or very few) cheap +/-15V wall warts. My life would be much easier if Phihong, (like these

would make some sort of adapter that would allow me to plug in two of their wall warts into one plug... and it should look nice. I'm not sure how to deal with the two wires coming out... it could also supply a ground line.

Maybe I'll write to Phihong.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The effective dropout voltage is 1.6, not reaslly LDO.

Sure! LTC usually costs 2x-4x what others want. We use LTC when the performance justifies the cost. Or when they decide to be sorta competitive, like with octal dacs.

lunatic fringe electronics

The LM2941 feedback is referenced to ground, and the chip has a ground pin. So any zener would need to be in the high side of the feedback path.

But I breadboarded an LM2941 reg, and it seems fine with up to 30 volts in and 29.xx out. It does shut down at just over 30 volts in, which isn't a problem since I'll be running from a 24 volt wart.

Nice chip, but a little weird.

lunatic fringe electronics

Connectors are worse.

Enclosures are worse still.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I'm being harassed to use a Cuk converter to make my negative supply; I need -6 from +24. Cuk's are quiet and we have the parts. Not cheap and a fair number of parts, but being done has its own virtues. I can just swipe it from an existing design.

That LTC part costs us $2.55, which isn't real bad.

lunatic fringe electronics

Care to explain how anything pinned to GND cannot be considered referenced to GND? There is no such requirement on placing the zener on the high side.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I wanted to suggest a switchmode solution but you probably hate them even more...

Reply to
Rob

If the desired 22V is also +/-5%, why not just make a 2V dropper? ...Jim Thompson

Seems overkill to switch 24 to 22. A linear is 92% efficient doing that.

This board will be full of switchers!

lunatic fringe electronics

The reason to use 22, and not 24, is that I want regulation.

lunatic fringe electronics

Rather than engage in a philosophical argument, you might read the data sheet:

lunatic fringe electronics

I see it now:

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

OUT -----+-------------+--> | | | | . | --- . | + --- . \-\ VZ | . ^ -+- . | - /// . +------- . | | . [R2] | . | | . | | . ADJ-----+ | . | [RB] . | | . [R1] | . | | . | | . | | . --- --- . /// /// . . . R2 . stability region 5< VREF X (1 + -- ) < 20 . R1 . . . R2 . VOUT= VREF X (1 + -- ) + VZ . R1 . . R2 . 5< VREF X (1 + -- ) =VOUT -VZ

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It is not about efficiency, but because a suitable switcher design does not care that the input and output voltages are so close.

That could make it even simpler, depending on how they are designed.

Reply to
Rob

The LT3066 has 270 to 380mV dropout at 400mA, two in parallel would work.

Actually, I suggest an opamp driving a p-channel MOSFET in a roll-your-own regulator.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

There you go, reason returns. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Actually, I could forego current and thermal limiting in this application, so, given a handy reference from somewhere, a homebrew regulator would only take about 6 parts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Great! Switch them all together or, even better, alternating phases.

Reply to
krw

[ Jim Thompson wrote, There you go, reason returns. ]

Well, there's the old Maxim AN103 app note. But watch out to avoid the inverting opamp connection, since the p-channel MOSFET is playing that role. The appnote's drawing mistakenly marks pin 3 as the - input, whereas of course it's the + input, as you want. I'd also avoid copying other silly things they have, like pin 2 feedback. **

Google "p-channel mosfet ldo" for maybe 50 different bloke's p-channel circuits. But looking, I didn't see one to recommend.

Note: there are two amplifying stages in the feedback loop, and the p-channel stage will have an output capacitor as its load, making a serious pole. Furthermore, the op-amp is driving the MOSFET's Ciss capacitance, ouch. So loop compensation can be a messy issue. Add a zero with a cap on the feedback divider resistor. The output electrolytic's esr is your friend, adding another zero. Although piles of 0.1 bypasses can wreck that.

A good idea: slow the loop's bandwidth. You can use a cap from the op-amp's output to invert input, see AoE III, Fig 5.87.A ** Or a cap from the FET's drain to gate. Hah, whatever, add another zero with a resistor in series with that cap. :-)

SPICE modeling of MOSFET linear operation in the subthreshold region is a mess, but the errors it makes will probably model the FET's gm too high in your operating region, making SPICE a conservative test.

** The feedback resistor in Maxim's AN103 lowers loop gain, but a capacitor with a series resistor is better. Also, a gate resistor, as in Fig 5.87 helps the op-amp.

Let us know if you pursue this approach.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

'T'is a shame that discrete manufacturers don't provide better models. The foundries I work with provide excellent models of subthreshold behavior. I did a medical application a few years ago where my whole circuit ran on 10nA (when not asleep ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I've done this before, and loop stability is no big deal. The pfet is a current source, so add a giant output cap - you need one anyhow - and the power thing becomes an integrator. Then just limit the gbw of the opamp with an RC network.

I guess I'll use the LM2941 and cheat the specs a little. It is interesting that it cuts off at +30 in, while the abs max is 60. And that the output is restricted to 5 to 20 volts. I wonder why.

lunatic fringe electronics