Hermetic connectors

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 08:46:58 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

That's why you are the principal consultant.

My idea about single conductor pass thrus and connectorizing the wires inside the chamber, and again outside are the best solution, if money is an issue.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 06:09:52 -0700 (PDT), George Herold Gave us:

Too many (stupid)configurations, and too many stupid people trying to plug the wrong plug into the wrong jack, Jack.

Jeez... learn to snip, people.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

[...]

George,

I'm jumping in late, so if you all have already covered this and passed on, I missed it.

Why do you plan to use a connector? Or, to put it another way, why break the "seal" at all? I assume you need to get "power" and "signals" inside the vacuum chamber, but that doesn't necessarily imply using any standard connector.

1) Power. This can be inductively coupled, and, if the coupling would interfere with the device in the chamber, charge batteries and turn off the inductive link when testing. Inductive charging is all the rage for tablets and cellphones these days; here's a cheeeep send-receive pair to play with:

$10 - Inductive Charging Set - 5V @ 500mA max

Or a solar cell, illuminated by a _strong_ light source.

2) Signals. These can be capacitively coupled, though you'd likely want to put your data in digital form and perhaps "package it up" for reliability. Heck, you could even use short-range RF, at least through glass, perhaps some of those cheeep 433MHz transmitter / receiver pairs:

$4 - RF Link Transmitter - 434MHz

$5 - RF Link Receiver - 4800bps (434MHz)

And there's always Bluetooth or WiFi.

Higher initial cost, perhaps, but possible less call for fixing mechanical connector problems ("It was stuck, so I turned it until it freed up...").

Hope there's something helpful in all this.

Frank McKenney

--
  The distinction that illuminates subjective experience lies ... in
  the respective role of science and art.  Science perceives who can

Sure. Some nice 0.1 inch wire wrap headers will give enough length to put connectors on both ends. They'd have to be hand-soldered, though, or else solder would get all over them.

Plus any of the through-hole solutions would have to be leak-checked carefully, which is time consuming.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

pretty much everything.

the orientation is virtually impossible to determine, the pins always break off or get bent, there are incompatible pinouts that results in bent and broken pins, the female receptables always wear out and get scratched causing the pins to get bent or broken. There are locking version of plugs, but nobody seems to knows this so those get broken off or pulled hard enough to damage the receptacle.

All in all it's just a really shitty design that had about zero thought put into ease of use or durability. It was designed by a committee for sure.

You mentioned power supplies, so you may be using the fat pins which are stronger, but it's still a horrible idea.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader