Filter connectors

Feedthrough caps have gotten stupid expensive, like $15 per pin. There are D sub connectors with built-in capacitance of up to about 47 nF, and

I seem to recall seeing ferrite plates whose holes matched the D-sub pattern, but can't find them. A 9-pin one would be great.

What do you folks use for EMI filtering on connectors?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

onsdag den 5. januar 2022 kl. 20.43.48 UTC+1 skrev Phil Hobbs:

?

?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hi, Phil:-

Fair-Rite 2644236101 looks like what you want. Laird also may have something.

Feedthrough PI filters are very expensive but work nicely.

You can get military style connectors with some filtering built in, not cheap.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

There are gender-changer-looking sorts of filter things that plug into a d-sub.

Am 05.01.22 um 20:43 schrieb Phil Hobbs:

<

I have bought this one 1.5 years ago for € 6. I found that not exactly cheap for a ~M4 bolt with a tube capacitor inside.

Now it is € 21. But it was €27 2 weeks ago when a customer wanted to buy them for the series. :-(

I'm looking myself for something smaller and cheaper.

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Thanks, all, that Fair-Rite part was what I was thinking of. Forty cents for 9 isolators is about the right price.

Turns out that Tusonix sells some pretty nice solder-in and threaded feedthroughs for a buck or so--see RF-microwave.com.

Cheers

Phil

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So many RF boxes use these things for power input. You have to solder a wire outside onto the feedthru or something awkward like that. It's barbaric. Even tubes plugged into sockets.

I hear you. But we do a lot of proof-of-concept demos for licensed design-in solutions. Having stuff on the shelf that we can bolt together with no signal integrity worries is a huge win.

Once they get onto the customer's board, the signal integrity worries are much less serious--cap multipliers and board-level shields are better than good enough.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They mention high resistivity, but I couldn't see how conductive that material is. Hopefully not very.

Reply to
Chris Jones