Help: I Need A Timer

--
How do you know that?
Reply to
John Fields

yup, you can get close with 2 alarm clocks, (only 24 hours count)

if using the PM indicator for hours 12-23 is not acceptible and you can't find a 24 hour version you'll probably need to modify the display a little and do a lbit of rewiring.

alarm clock displays don't show the time while they're stopped. other than that start/stop is relativelyt easy. to reset turn the power off and back on.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Ok...

Obviously there is no market for something like this.

(And having several of these made would obviously be cost prohibitive).

Thanks.

P.S.: I've never seen an alarm clock that shows the seconds ticking off.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Here's a page full

There are all kinds of timers with digital displays including seconds.

Reply to
bw

It it what it is. Nobody is making it that way. You thought you had described your need completely and accurately; all these question responses indicate that you didn't. Your description was necessary but not sufficient. For example, my initial understanding of your need was display of 6 digits, (10^7)-1, of seconds. Oops!... reset! You restated it. What you want it a simple timer with clock-like display, i.e. two digits each of hours, minutes, seconds. More accurate discription but still insufficient to take to Development. Because there's the issue of digit size. You say, "I don't know the size. How big do they come?" You might be very unpleasantly surprised. Almost any size you want _could_ be designed. I can buy ~5" 7-segment LED displays off the shelf for something under FORTY DOLLARS.... per digit. Do you want your timer to have a

5-inch high, $250.00 display??! The lesson: if you leave everything to the designers, be prepared for something other than what you have in mind.

I'm tempted to design a timer for you just to kill this thread, which started well enough but has become silly.

--
Michael
Reply to

Searcher7 wrote: (snip)

There's one in front of me as I write this, so at least one exists. :-) Other features: - self-setting, from radio station WWVB - switch selectable 12/24-hour display mode - 24 switch selectable time zones - enable/disable Daylight Savings

All of it, except the WWVB receiver, is my own design.

--
Michael
Reply to

On Feb 23, 6:23=A0am, Michael wrote: > Searcher7 wrote: >

That's not fair. You know what you're doing.

I too have a homespun digital clock which has those features plus multiple timezones - 3 displayed at once. Which WWVB receiver did you use with your project? WWVB is a low priority (or I would have done it by now) but it would be nice to have it work.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

why so few time zones?

Reply to
Jasen Betts

hmm I guess there's not that many places in rnage of WWVB,

Reply to
Jasen Betts

--
Nonsense. I might be willing to spend $100 for something OTS, while
someone else might only be willing to spend $10 on something from Ebay

I cannibalized a Sharp SPC315 LCD clock/thermometer found at WalMart a year or so ago. Dunno if they still carry it. It's oval shaped, raised on a short pedestal; oval part is about 6.5"W x 4" high. Was the largest Sharp clock on the shelf, IIRC. The receiver is on a separate little board, attached to main board by a section of standard 0.1" header, so you have to desolder.

A month or two ago Circuit Cellar had an article about making a time server. Author used a C-Max WWVB receiver, available at Digi-Key for about $10, including antenna (even though Digi-Key doesn't mention that antenna is included.). The C-Max might be a better bet than trying to find a Sharp SPC315.

--
Michael
Reply to

Correct. WWVB isn't receivable in every TZ. Having the local time - in Scotland or Phoenix, Arizona or Greece or Japan or Guam... the list is long - is handy when my brother is on deployment (U.S. Navy).

Reply to
Michael

On Feb 24, 9:39=A0am, Michael wrote: > snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: > > That's not fair. You know what you're doing. >

You're so right on the Digikey item. $10.70 for the module in unit pricing. It's on my order list with the next 1000 capacitors. Thanks.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Have you actually BEEN to any stores and ASKED if they have a "large digital kitchen timer"?

Google turns up ZERO?????

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It would be a little more 'friendly,' Rich, if you'd quote the OP more directly. It's a little confusing to some to see my name associated there when your post had absolutely nothing at all to do with dealing with anything I wrote.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Mea Culpa - bad snip on my part. I was trying to addreee the OP, and when I snipped out 5 or 6 or 7 levels of follups, I inadvertently left your name in.

I did snip all of your contribution, however. ;-)

Sorry. Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Gee, thanks! I think.