Need to find a motor

M.T.C. 5.9V. CW

03-12-17 CCM03-059R1- illegible

The motor is round, barely an inch in diameter

I've Googled my fingers off, but nothing. And since the DVD is made by ESA, so no luck there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look for small motors?

Thanks ahead

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

How have you determined the motor is bad?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anyth> I need to find a replacement motot for my cheal DVD player. This isn't to

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

while still a novice i was able to find two motors. one that spins the DVD and one that opens the door. the door no longer opened, and examining the motor for the door i noticed some type of corosion.

so while it's a guess, i think it's a pretty good one. only thing is i have no idea how to find the replacement.

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

I'd be surprised if the motor is your problem, a bit of corrosion is nothing to worry about. Fortunately motors are very easy to test, simply apply power to it with a battery, a 6v lantern battery would be ideal but a few C batteries in series or maybe even a 9v would work. If the motor spins then it's ok.

Reply to
James Sweet

Will do that but am willing to take that chance, but can anyone give me a clue as to where to find these type of motors????

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

Other scrapped DVD players, CD players, some of the surplus companies online such as Electronic Goldmine and others may have something suitable.

Reply to
James Sweet

M.T.C. 5.9V. CW

03-12-17 CCM03-059R1- illegible

The motor is round, barely an inch in diameter

I've Googled my fingers off, but nothing. And since the DVD is made by ESA, so no luck there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look for small motors?

Thanks ahead

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

EXCELLENT SITE! Thanks!

Curious, do you have other company links? Would love to have as many as possible.

Thanks again to all!

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

Those dvd motors are cheaply made . They run on very low voltage . A CD motor is different . Just because it spins on a battery does not mean its good .It could be running rough causing problems . or have stiff bearings . These run on such low voltage they need to turn very free to work right . Spinning one at high speed on a battery can sometimes limber it up enough to work again but probably not long .

What brand name is the player ?

Reply to
Ken G.

oh, it's a cheapy...ESA. which i could easily replace for $35. however, i used to be a tinkerer as a kid, not bad, but not on this level. so for $7 (1.29 + shipping) it's become a mission ;-)

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

Unless I'm mistaken, we're talking the eject mechanism motor, those are very much not critical.

Reply to
James Sweet

we are, but if the door won't open, then it's really critical.

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

What I meant is that the specifications of the motor are not critical, anything of similar voltage and physical size should work ok.

Reply to
James Sweet

ahhh, got it, misudnerstood what you meant. anyway i ordered the motor already and will know in a week or two. so either this works, and i will feel all warm and tingly inside, or my next DVD player will end up costing me an extra 7 bucks ;-)

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

Thanks to all that helped, and

was truly a gold mine! for $1.29 (plus six dolalrs shipping) i was able to fix my DVD player just by replacing a dead motor.

I cannot express the giddiness I am feeling over finally being one up on the universe!

Curious, everything I did here was tinkering, and recommendations on what to get if I want to explore more? Start learning more about diagnosing bad capicitors, etc?

As stupid as this sounds, fixing a $35 DVD player actually made me feel so alive!

THanks again!

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

Well damn, it was the motor, I guess it's just one of those times...

Yeah that's exactly why I fix a good portion of the stuff I do, just because I can and it's fun. There's plenty of things I've spent more time mucking with than they were worth, but I knew I could fix them so I kept at it until I did.

Reply to
James Sweet

so what would you recommend as a next step? i WANT to learn more! learn how to diagnose, etc. etc. any direction / books you can point me to?

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

Just get more broken stuff, is there a section on craigslist.org near you?

Reply to
James Sweet

well i have more broken stuff, but how would just looking at broken stuff help me with mroe complex electronics?

and what do you mean by a "section" on craigslist near me? i know craigslist, but what do you mean by section?

Reply to
Daniel Kaplan

Well what's wrong with it? If you post the model of whatever the thing is and a description of the symptoms people may be able to give you pointers that will get you started. You'll probably find, as I did, that once you work on a number of monitors or TV's for example, they all start looking pretty similar on the inside and the same few problems tend to turn up on a lot of them.

Section as in location, the Seattle craigslist for example won't help you much if you're in say, Florida or vice versa.

Reply to
James Sweet