Crawl spaces aren't the norm in cold places short of the artic. The basement is where the furnace usually placed. When you get into places with permafrost. the houses once again have gaps under them but the furnaces and ducts are placed inside the heated space.

The ducts being outdoors is only done in warmish places where the extra room inside the house is considered a bigger value than the better heating duct methods.

News==----

#1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups
Reply to
MooseFET

Does that mean that they keep their canon balls inside, too?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes.

It is also where most cars plug in, walking across a lake is considered normal, people never stay up all night or work all day.

Reply to
MooseFET
[snip]

Had gas heat (furnace and hot water) at the old house... I miss it except for safety issues. We certainly have no CO issues now ;-)

What WILL you do when global warming arrives ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

We have resistive heat in the apartment we're in now. A heat pump would be nice. It doesn't matter all that much because we're only planning on staying for one winter. At least electricity is cheaper here.

The house we just sold in VT had natural gas heat and a few "window" ACs stuck through the wall (one 2T one 7500BTU in the bedroom). The price of natural gas was going up pretty sharply, but nothing like electricity.

--
Keith
Reply to

Sure, ya' gotta keep your powder dry too.

--
Keith
Reply to

REAL heat pumps use a heat exchanger immersd in the lake underneath the dock.

Deja fubar: The feeling that you\'ve made the same mistake before.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

We run the heat all year here.

We just took a walk on the cliffs and damned near froze to death. The only thing that saved us was the Irish Coffee. And the middle part of the US is being re-glaciated.

John

Wet talcum powder is useless! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Took #5 granddaughter to her favorite Greek restaurant tonight... big time shivers whilst walking outside :-(

...Jim Thompson

Check out the exposure of the political dishonesty behind the claim that Al Gore claimed to invent the internet, such as at snopes.com.

I conmsider that to be Republican distortion worse than that actually committed by Al Gore here, since he was the main force in Congress working to expand into what was then often called the "Information Superhighway" from the Arpanet.

Don Klipstein

Icecapped or merely suffering winter weather no worse than has been experienced before in those areas in the past century?

Don Klipstein

They don't really pump it backwards, a valve interchanges the outdoor and indoor heat exchanger coils.

The heat pump is extracting heat energy from the outdoor air mass and delivering it into the heated space at elevated temperature. The electric heater is extracting energy through your meter and delivering that into the heated space. The only energy extracted through the meter by the heat pump is overhead required to run the extraction and delivery process, also called the pumping process and the impetus for the use of

*pump* in *heat* *pump*. Obviously this is far less than the electric heater uses to delivery the same amount of heat, actually about 1/5 the amount for modern residential units. The compressor limits the temperature differential the heat pump can handle efficiently. When the outdoor air becomes too cold, the unit will kick in either a fossil fuel or electric heater furnace and the free ride is over.
Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Air-to-heat-sink transfer

Heat-source-to-air transfer

The "efficiency" is so thrilling.

Sounds like Al Gore "Consensus Science" to me ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It is not the various media exchanging heat that is so important as the temperature differential of the two sealed system heat exchangers. There are only so many candidate refrigerants with adequate latent heat and compressors available to do the job. The type of heat pump you're talking about is circulating a glycol type of fluid through an underground or underwater pipe field and then to the heat exchange with the refrigerant. Because your outdoor side exchange temperature is constant for practical purposes, you end up with year round operation in either mode. The glycol circuit is not a complicated Mollier cycle as with the refrigeration, it is a simple hydronic circulation of fluid through a loop without phase change. If it's something you have to have, there are ample ASHRAE certified refrigeration ME's who can put together a custom design with off-the-shelf components. Consultation and design would be fairly cheap, but the actual installation... that's another story.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

My only point is that "reversible" AC/heat-pumps are crap for heating when it's cold... exactly when you need it.

In Arizona you used to be able to buy "dual-paks"... AC with an electric (or gas-fired) furnace. You don't see them anymore for some reason.

...Jim Thompson

The original complaint about heat pump heating was the relatively cold plenum temperatures, maybe 80oF for a 70oF room, this feels like ice, especially when it's dry. Compare that to the 120o-140o of the fossil fuel furnace. They've since done some things to up the heat pump working temperature, but I don't know what it is.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That also depends on where you put the reference. If the heater is powered from nuclear energy, the efficiency is quite high. If the electricity comes from a coal powered electricity plant, then the efficiency is rather low.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

It depends on where you live. In Sweden they have a lot of electricity coming from dams. So electricity is cheap there.

Over here energy prices are grazy. We pay about 200 euro's per month for electricity, heating and hot water (where I live all houses are heated using cooling water from an electricity plant). I'm thinking about getting a boiler which can use scrap wood or coal :-)