heat pumps

John

As if Wikipedia is a "consensus" source.

And then Gore "gave" us that piece-of-work, "An Inconvenient Truth".

...Jim Thompson

Just got our electric bill for December. $225 for ~1900kWh or about $.11/kWh. I don't think I'm going to like electric heat in January and February. :-( More incentive to move on.

--
Keith
Reply to

I think what has the right wing-nuts so upset about Gore are his efforts to turn the internet into a public right-of-way (analogous to the Interstate Highway system) and deprive private enterprise from monopolizing it as a means to distribute advertising and product.

"A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only
advise his client to plant vines." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

=20

re

hat=20

=20

ing=20

"=20

I like Glenn Beck's choice for the title of his book "An=20 Inconvenient Book". ;-)

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

It's a good thing all the "right wing-nuts" are in your head.

--
Keith
Reply to

Left wing nuts don't fit on standard threads. ;-)

Tim

Tim Williams

Nah, a couple of undergraduate physics classes would do. In fact I learned the basics of thermodynamics in high school.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Their use is indeed limited, but I don't think it ws Al Gore who invented the underlying thermodynamics.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

How so?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

I'm sure that's true, but so does their cooling efficiency.

What's an example of a heat pump that isn't a heat pump? The "AC in reverse" thingy certainly pumps some heat, while adding plenty of losses.

Al Gore isn't one of the brightest, but does he indeed advertise running ACs in reverse rather than well-insulated houses with a high-efficiency central heating system?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Your personal heat pump appears to be a model that pumps heat from domestic trouble into Usenet.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

??? Let's look at it this way. A resistive heater takes XYZ Joules out of the wall outlet and gives

100% of it to the room it is in (we neglect wiring losses for now). I do not see where else this energy can go. A heat pump takes same XYZ Joules out of the wall outlet (OK, it's hard wired, same thing). It cannot deliver 100% to the room (house) because something will be lost to the (snowy, I am in New England) outside. How could a heat pump be more efficient heater then?
Reply to
Michael

Two pieces of advice.

Don't top post.

Learn some thermodynamics. The heat pump would take heat from your snowy New England outdoors (leaving it even colder than it was before) and deliver it inside your room. It uses the joules it gets from the wall socket to extract rather more joules from the great outdoors and deliver them indoors. It is exactly the same principle used to cool the inside of your refrigerator by warming the radiating grid on the back of the refrigerator.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

're

.

m that

lly

king

y"

If only! I could more or less deal with imaginary lunatics, but the kind that claim to have reported me to the FBI are less imaginary than I'd like. Jim Thompson posted this gem here a while back.

"Nope. Since you have exhibited extreme anti-American behavior here in this newsgroup I simply pointed out said behavior to ICE and a few of my friends within the FBI. "

That a right wing-nut case for you.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Nonsense. Gore claiming the Internet is like your professor putting his name first on the paper YOU wrote.

...Jim Thompson

Of course not, I was just having fun with the "Al Gore School of Consensus Science" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Not THAT is novel science ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Actually, it's like your professor saying "I assigned that project and gave him an A on his paper".

Perhaps Jim is engaged in a pool to be the last neo-con to cite the Al-Gore-invented-the-Internet myth.

Reply to
Richard Henry

You will have some tiny amount radiated out as very long wavelength radio waves, some energy dissipated making a weak magnetic field.

No, it draws XYZ / COP (COP =3D coefficient of perfomance) joules out of the wall, and delivers XYZ joules to the room in the same period of time as your "electric heater".

Because it produces *colder air* outside, moving that heat inside.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc