heat pumps

All Thompson succeeded in doing is getting a file opened opened on himself, said file being deposited in the same cabinet with the bunch on the lookout for flying saucers.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Heat pumps have their uses and their limitations, especially ambient air types. They are rather limited in highly variable climate regions, from freezing to over 100 seasonally.

I am rather more disparaging of Al Bore and, "an inconvenient fraud". General global temperature variations are recorded facts. They do seem to be related to Milankovich cycles and solar variation cycles at least as well as everything else.

JosephKK

Reply to
Joseph2k

Bloggs, You are as ignorant as Slowman.

I do have personal friends that are field agents in the FBI.

And I DO advise them of nut-cases that might be potential problems for the US.

Where is it that you work, Fred ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I live right across the street from their HQ here. Tell them to come on over, I will be happy to talk with them. You do know that making a report with malicious intent does have serious criminal and civil legal consequences?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I don't make "report(s) with malicious intent", but I do report anyone with a clear anti-American stance.

Go sit in a corner and suck your thumb... I have more lawyers than you (or Slowman) have friends ;-)

...Jim Thompson

re

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

I think he's right here - his intent was sincere, but sufficiently misguided that his lawyers could have a very profitable time trying to stop him being locked up for being dangerously out of touch with reality.

But they obviously aen't your friends, otherwise they would long ago have advised you to stop behaving like a dememented old lady, seeing terrorists under every bed.

A lawyer would certainly have a enjoyable time reviewing my output on this user group (at $200 per hour, or whatever they cost these days) to establish whether what Jim sees as an anti-American stance is genuinely dangerous to the United States, or merely critical of its current administration.

There are many people with whom I share my critical stance - Naomi Klein's "The Shock Doctrine" (ISBN 978-1-846-14028-0) is merely the most recent of a long series of criticisms of U.S. foreign and domestic policy - Stephen Decatur's toast to "My country, right or wrong" is one of the earliest.

Jim and his pig-ignorant right wing friends would seem to want to purify the world - Pinochet style - in order to be able to prosecute their dim-witted plans without having to listen to pesky well-informed criticism.

Oddly enough, this probably doesn't qualify as "malicious intent", any more than did Hilter's noble plan to "improve" the German gene pool by excluding the genes of some of its brightest citizens. It is entirely demented, but not the sort of florid dementia that gets you locked up in a lunatic asylum.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

re

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Reporting people to the FBI for expressing their opinion is decidedly anti-American.

Where should I send my report to?

Reply to
Richard Henry

I don't know about that 'fun' part. I missed the smiley in your original post.

Unfortunately, quite a few people seem to skip over the facts and go right to the politics (or religion) when they make what should be economic or technical decisions.

This is what I really miss about the old, pro business GOP. Back in the old days, if I hired a designer/engineer to do a job, I could be certain that I'd get the best solution for the problem. If that solution happened to come from a company owned by a black, lesbian, vegan, atheist Democrat, that didn't matter. We'd find it. Today, I have to wonder whether some preliminary filter has been applied to select products only from a list of 'friends'. That is: those who go to Our Church, vote for Our Candidate, match Our Skin Color, etc. The problem is that the optimum solution may belong to one not on that list and, unencumbered by such nonsense, my competitor is likely to find it before my designer does.

Businesses don't usually collapse in flames, like Enron did. More likely, they die bit by bit. Every year, they do a few percent less than the competition. Eventually, there's not enough money coming in the door to make it viable anymore. Or, on a macroeconomic scale, the dollars coming in aren't worth what they used to be. Its bad enough when this happens due to factors beyond one's control. But its insane to turn opportunities away just because they don't arise from within ones own narrow little comfort zone.

Jim, are you going to be turning DoD work away when Hillary is elected?

Windows tip #248: add BUGS=OFF to your registry.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

To Bloggs. He can just walk it across the street for you.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you stutter in real life, or just on USENET?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

used to work in a cmmercial bldg that had a propane unit that fired when it needed to provide heat, and in summer it fired when AC called for cooling

as a 17 year old, it mystified me how a fire could provide cooling!

bldg was 60 x 120 feet single floor with basement, unit never failed to provide!

delivery

fuel

story.

Reply to
HapticZ

Do you happen to know anyone from MI5 by chance?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

[snip]

There's an ammonia cycle that works quite nicely that way. Banned now in the US by leftist weenies... (1) it's too efficient and (2) it's "dangerous" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I remember gas refridgerators. A Ham friend had a full size bus he converted to a mobile home Had one of those big gas units. Had to keep the thing level. I also remember staying at my grandmothers, and a neighbor came in to gas up the electric fridge. It was awful smelling the chlorine gas. We threw out an old clunker garage fridge one day. The garbage man got a whiff of the chlorine gas as we wached them throw it in the truck. He backed off !!

greg

Reply to
GregS

threw out

Except it wasn't chlorine, it was ammonia something-or-other gas.

...Jim Thompson

Primo example of why not to be a winger, whether left or right: makes you blind to facts.

Ammonia cycle is neither "too efficient" or even "more efficient than compressor cycles typically available" - in fact, many off-grid folks find that they use less propane to run a generator to run an efficient electric fridge than they did to run a Serval gas fridge.

It's also not "banned", as the vast number of ammonia fridges in RVs and the like should easily attest. Not to mention all the ice rinks, a couple of luge/bobsled runs, etc. It is, in fact, "dangerous", to the extent that the US Navy used a less efficient and troublesomely high-pressure CO2 cycle back before the development of fluorocarbons in order NOT to have ammonia on-board ships. The choice of when to use it is often influenced by practical considerations including scale and needed safety precautions. The cheapness of the refrigerant is a major factor in large-scale operations.

I'm considering implementing some solar-power A/C using ammonia cycle (or possibly lithium chloride), but if I do, all the ammonia will be outside the house in its own building, and I'll eat the efficiency cost of a heat exchanger to some non-noxious fluid for transferring cold into the house. With "free heat" it makes sense - if burning fuel, it does not.

Ecnerwal

I recall correctly (;-) that Servel (not "Serval") ran quite nicely on a pilot light sized flame.

I also think that ammonia cycle units ARE banned from residential use.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Make that "ammonia cycle A/C units".

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

it

ing

failed to

Really? Banned where, and by whom?

Richard Henry

oted text -

It would make pretty good sense to ban it for domestic use. It has killed too many people by leaking. Not only is the stuff toxic and corrosive but it also forms an explosive mixture at 15% by volume in air.

Industrially it is still widely used - although anhydrous ammonia is a pretty nasty working fluid. I recall a big plant making hollow cylinder ice cubes in bulk each the size of a man - the flywheel for the compressor about 32' diameter. The smell of ammonia was ever present. US OSHA log around 6-10 ammonia refridgeration release accidents and a couple of fatalities most years. See for example:

Most of the fatalities are down to bad working procedures, poor maintainence and/or inadequate safety training.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown