HDMI in US and in EU

ing a DVD driver for Linux or something similar. Was he ever arrested?

was that he was ok in his country, then came to the US for a conference or similar and was nabbed by Federal agents. I expect I'm getting two separa te issues confused.

am

osecuted in many ways including spending time in solitary confinement becau se law enforcement officials convinced a judge that he had the ability to " start a nuclear war by whistling into a pay phone".

able. It just goes to show there are a lot of SOBs in the world.

n for mass downloading academic journals

If anyone were to find the many, relatively trivial crimes I have committed I would get life in prison. How have we gotten so messed up?

Wait, don't tell me, I know this one. It's because commercial interests ru n this country, not the citizens.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

iting a DVD driver for Linux or something similar. Was he ever arrested?

ed was that he was ok in his country, then came to the US for a conference or similar and was nabbed by Federal agents. I expect I'm getting two sepa rate issues confused.

gram

prosecuted in many ways including spending time in solitary confinement bec ause law enforcement officials convinced a judge that he had the ability to "start a nuclear war by whistling into a pay phone".

evable. It just goes to show there are a lot of SOBs in the world.

son for mass downloading academic journals

ed I would get life in prison. How have we gotten so messed up?

as in the Aaron Swartz case, they made charges for 35years and offered a deal for 6 months ...

going to court and proving a case is hard work, easier to make people plead guilty in exchange for not risking life in prison

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There is still a frame rate.

I have an old Sharp LCD monitor. For some modes, it displays a stable picture, overlayed with a panel saying that the mode is not supported. If the panel were not there, I presume I'd have a usable picture.

I think some monitors are implemented in a way that is just bloody-minded, and perhaps related to a desire to allow higher pricing for other monitors produced by the same manufacturer, and/or to prevent grey imports.

In my experience electronics gear is more expensive in Europe than the USA. You may have been caught up in that.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

The expression "chipped" sounds very British to me and never heard it in the US. Explain what is involved in chipping, please.

Reply to
Cameo

You may be right, but I think it is due to generally higher taxes in EU than in US. But then, prescription drugs are more expensive in the US, so maybe for some people it balances out.

Reply to
Cameo

Cameo wrote in news:qns6d7$c3e$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Either a ROM chip or other chip which enables a satellite receiver (the origin of the term) to a set top cable box or even a regionalized DVD player. 'Chipping' is where on replaces a chip on the main board of a handcuffed device which releases it from the handcuffs and allows it to do whatever the handcuffs were keeping it from doing. And it was definitely an also used in the US term.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's an anti DRM modification to a consumer device usually involving adding or replacing some IC, I first encounered the term in relation to game consoles to allow use of non-genuine or out-of-region ROM cartriges or game discs.

The term is also applied to performance modifications to automobile ECUs usually by replacing a pluggable ROM

SFAIK region code defeat on DVD players is just a write to NVRAM/EEPROM, often via the in-built menus.

Jasen Betts

Does that mean unsoldering the old chip and soldering in a new one in its place, or is it a pluggble situation?

Reply to
Cameo

It varied from device to device. Some only needed jumpers to defeat whatever they were after. Some required a chip change.