HDMI in US and in EU

Martin Brown wrote in news:qnk90p$rgv$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Except that you failed to notice the other parameter.

The screens in upright video arcade games are tipped back from the vertical plane.

Sorry, BOYS, but it was a known problem, and you are simply inexperienced, unknowing jerks.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Martin Brown wrote in news:qnk90p$rgv$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

The shadow mask inside picture tubes did not change position based on the position of the tube.

Why don't you attempt to make up some more bullshit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Martin Brown wrote in news:qnkkro$it5$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Just look up the video subsystem for you laptop and see what modes that chip can handle. You know... is it an nvidia 520 or such.

If it can handle it, then all one needs to change is the registry setting. Many times there is a checkbox in the card settings that allows for "non-standard rates" to be selected. That would likely trigger an edit of the registry entry. No user intervention needed.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I followd that link there was an windows driver which I downloaded and opened with file roller (kind of like winzip but for linux).

File roller found that the driver file contained among other things an ".inf" file. I opened that with a text editor, inside the inf file was that line. (and a load of other stuff)

yes, but it tells windows what it is allowed to send to the monitor.

I'm guessing that samsung tells windows not to send less than 56Hz to to the monitor becase the monitor can't go slow enough, they could be making arbitrary restrictions just to be assholes, but my guess is that those numbers bear a close relation to the practical sync rate limits for that monitor, and your experience with trying to feed PAL and NTSC signals to it seem to confirm that.

Jasen Betts

I think you're right.

Reply to
Cameo

Cameo wrote in news:qnnok9$8vq$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yeah. I think the TV can do it, but the maker locks it out so that euro folks buy euro TVs and not a cheaper US TV even though it could do the job. It is not about them not being able to do it, it is about marketing. Also it is not about HDMI either.

Take a look at this discussion:

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Actually, this one is Intel HD Graphics 4000.

I'm afraid this is above my expertise to even try.

Reply to
Cameo

You may be in luck if the mode is available in the standard offering.

Shows roughly where to look in the standard Graphics 4000 driver.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

or

I would agree that the monitor will refuse to work at frequencies outside o f its design limits. How well it would work if it didn't self limit is up for grabs. It's not like there's a yoke limitation or the frequency drives a bunch of analog electronics. It is just a matter of what values can be programmed into the various registers that control the refresh rate and res olution. The actual electronics, being nearly all digital, have no real li mitations until registers overflow or maximum frequencies are reached.

These limits are probably more an issue of the utility of testing the desig n in all the cases.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are still stuck in the old paradigm.

Real simple. Since HDTV there is no PAL and there is no NTSC. Switch mode power supplies made by OEM mfgrs as they practically all are, can do from some 85 to 265 VAC autoswitching transformerless input at 50 or 60 Hz. So the Power Supply is out of the way.

These displays are progressive scan. And since they are HDMI compliant, the ONLY reason it would puke would be if it was internally handcuffed, just like the days of regional DVD releases and players that would only play in the region they were bought in.

So there are no self limits because you cannot damage it if you connect an hdmi compliant output device to the display's hdmi input.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The regionalized DVD issue also crossed my mind as applicable analogy in the PAL/NTSC case. Another similar marketing ploy is perpetrated by the cell phone industry when they disable certain frequency bands to prevent their phones being used on a competitor's network. Their motivation in disabling the built-in FM radios is not as clear to me though. Seems to me that EU is more pro-consumer in a lot of these areas than the US is.

Reply to
Cameo

Thanks, but I just don't want to risk damaging either my video chip, or the display monitor with such thinkering with the driver.

Reply to
Cameo

EU folk also quite like watching US DVDs so you might be in luck trying to find hacks to make NTSC frame rates work with local TVs.

NASA came to Tottenham Court Road in London to get its DVD players chipped and made region free for the ISS. Insane to do anything else. Many supermarket models can be chipped with relative ease.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown wrote in news:qnqmru$e1q$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Are BluRay discs (and players) also regionalized? And also, would not the ISS simply stream videos up to a PC up there to play at will without the added weight of a disc collection?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

it out so that

I'm suprised the DVD Copy Control Association didn't insist on a lower eart h orbit region code and special DVDs

or are made by manufacturers that just doesn't bother implementing the nons ense

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Most PAL tvs support NTSC, this started with some of the later CRT sets and became more common with flat panel displays.

Here in NZ someone had slipped a sheet of paper into the box of the last DVD player I unboxed, said paper having the region free code to be entered using the remote.

Jasen Betts

:

ks it out so that

in

he

ent

s.

rth orbit region code and special DVDs

nsense

I seem to recall some EU kid was made a criminal by US law for writing a DV D driver for Linux or something similar. Was he ever arrested?

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

fredag den 11. oktober 2019 kl. 22.44.44 UTC+2 skrev Rick C:

te:

33

s.

ocks it out so that

ld

is

gy in

the

event

in

s to

is.

ng

earth orbit region code and special DVDs

nonsense

DVD driver for Linux or something similar. Was he ever arrested?

DVD Jon ?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

a DVD driver for Linux or something similar. Was he ever arrested?

I suppose that is who I am misremembering. What I thought I remembered was that he was ok in his country, then came to the US for a conference or sim ilar and was nabbed by Federal agents. I expect I'm getting two separate i ssues confused.

I also remember reading about Kevin Mitnick who seemingly was overly prosec uted in many ways including spending time in solitary confinement because l aw enforcement officials convinced a judge that he had the ability to "star t a nuclear war by whistling into a pay phone".

Dear God, this wouldn't make a movie or book because it is too unbelievable . It just goes to show there are a lot of SOBs in the world.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

g a DVD driver for Linux or something similar. Was he ever arrested?

as that he was ok in his country, then came to the US for a conference or s imilar and was nabbed by Federal agents. I expect I'm getting two separate issues confused.

A Russia guy was arrested at a convention in Las Vegas for making a program that decrypted PDF files

ecuted in many ways including spending time in solitary confinement because law enforcement officials convinced a judge that he had the ability to "st art a nuclear war by whistling into a pay phone".

le. It just goes to show there are a lot of SOBs in the world.

killed himself after being arrested and threatened with 35 years in prison for mass downloading academic journals