$94 from Amazon, free shipping.

Re: cool power supply
John Larkin wrote...

 Too big!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: cool power supply

It's about a third the volume of some similar-power supplies. No fan,
so I'll bolt it to the side of my box and add some conduction cooling.

I have an old Kikusui electronic load box, so I'll run it and see how
warm it gets.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: cool power supply
On Fri, 04 Oct 2019 10:40:17 -0700, John Larkin

Is that epoxy or siicone encapsulation?

Surely not a standard feature . . . maybe the 4G vibration spec
tells the story.

4K cm^2 heatsink surface area required . . .or 80C case temp.

I've drawn similar derating curves . . . the (horizontal) directive
makes me smile.

Looks nice. You have a 36V application?

RL

Re: cool power supply

Feels like silicone. The partial potting shells are cute.

I'll bolt it to the side of a 3U rackmount chassis, with three fans.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egorve49zqbnwer/P560_Box_3.jpg?raw=1

I changed my mind to running at 48, so this unit is for experimenting.
My product will output 400 Hz 3-phase AC at 120 w/phase max, class D
amps, so I'll need 400 watts or so.

There's no need for a power supply to be big if you can keep it cool.

I thought it was a nice package. The MeanWell stuff seems to be very
good, and the prices are insanely low.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: cool power supply
On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 09:01:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com

The whole point of a fanless cooling derating, or chassis spot
temperature, is to allow prediction of life in the industrial
environment. Maybe there will be a fan, maybe not - the process
keeps running.

The 150% 100mSec rating is a warning that there are potential peak
power draw limits for low duty pulsed apps. No 10:1 pulse derating for
this thing - good output filtering if that's required. Audio frequency
stuff with crest factors can be an issue at the low frequency end.

I'll bet the first brick their customers threw at them was orring
diodes / parallel supply operation. It's 1990 at Meanwell, in China,
all over again.

RL

Re: cool power supply
legg wrote...

 Hah, potted and no fan.  The similar, slightly-larger, but
 cheaper, 600W Mean Well SE-600 has a fan, no potting.  Also
 no rating for 5G, or operation to 5000m (derate by 17.5C).
 Is John gonna use these in the Himalayas?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: cool power supply

I got an SE600 to evaluate too. I probably have room for either. It's
huge and heavy compared to the UHP500. I just thought the 500 was cool
packaging and magnetics.

I wonder if the potting flows under the PCB, to conduct heat to the
metal box.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: cool power supply
On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 10:01:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com

So does Meanwell (wonder), I expect. The only control is weight and
curing time, at normal atmosphere.

If you were really evaluating the thing, for a large scale purchase,
you'd have to pull one apart, to get a good idea of what you were
commiting to.

RL

Re: cool power supply

They may have routed the PC board to allow silicone to flow below. I
would have done that. The theta of an air gap can be cut by a huge
factor by filling it with something. The magnetics will need cooling.

I plan to run it at 500 watts and see how hot things get. No need to
unpot it and inspect things. MeanWell stuff is very good. We've used
hundreds.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: cool power supply
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote...

 They claim 95% efficiency.  Only 25W loss at 500W.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: cool power supply

I can bolt it to the side of the aluminum box and put the exit air
slots nearby. The sides of a rackmount box are a safe place to exhaust
air. I posted the proposed box layout above.

If we space it off the side of the box, maybe a half inch, we could
put the exhaust air slots *under* the power supply. So there would be
a torrent of air flow on the underside of the supply.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: cool power supply

Mexico City.

RL

Re: cool power supply
legg wrote...

 2240 meters.  Denver, 1600m.  Family ranch in NV, 1700m.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: cool power supply

Our cabin in Truckee is 6400 feet. You can tell the difference when
hiking and especially when cooking.

I could altitude test my box and expense the whole trip.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: cool power supply

Hartford, Connecticuit. Maybe Florida.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: cool power supply

Looking at old notes and advertizing bumph, I'd swear they copied
my charts.

RL

Re: cool power supply

I guess we're all working with the same physical world, after
all is said and done.

It used to bug me, no end, reading the 'ratings' for externally-
cooled units. Still does.

RL
units, that didn't include

Re: cool power supply

So, 500W in 231 x 81 x 31mm,
and a TDK model (PFH500H is 500W in
101.6 x 61 x 13.3mm

which I make to  be an impressive volume ratio of  1: 0.14
meaning the Meanwell comes in at seven times bigger.

TDK   merchants aren't bragging about price, though.  Digikey wants
nearly three times the MeanWell price.

Re: cool power supply

Right, around $250. It apparently uses TransPhorm GaN fets. It does
need an external 2-stage EMI filter and conduction cooling. And an
external inrush resistor+relay. The "basic connection diagram" wraps
about 20 external parts around it. The eval board adds *13* additional
output caps.

Doesn't look like the 48V version is available yet.

If I used this, I'd need to add another PC board to support/finish it.
And beef up the cooling maybe.

lunatic fringe electronics

Site Timeline