cool power supply

$94 from Amazon, free shipping.

Too big!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

It's about a third the volume of some similar-power supplies. No fan, so I'll bolt it to the side of my box and add some conduction cooling.

I have an old Kikusui electronic load box, so I'll run it and see how warm it gets.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Is that epoxy or siicone encapsulation?

Surely not a standard feature . . . maybe the 4G vibration spec tells the story.

4K cm^2 heatsink surface area required . . .or 80C case temp.

I've drawn similar derating curves . . . the (horizontal) directive makes me smile.

Looks nice. You have a 36V application?

RL

Reply to
legg

Feels like silicone. The partial potting shells are cute.

I'll bolt it to the side of a 3U rackmount chassis, with three fans.

I changed my mind to running at 48, so this unit is for experimenting. My product will output 400 Hz 3-phase AC at 120 w/phase max, class D amps, so I'll need 400 watts or so.

There's no need for a power supply to be big if you can keep it cool.

I thought it was a nice package. The MeanWell stuff seems to be very good, and the prices are insanely low.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Hah, potted and no fan. The similar, slightly-larger, but cheaper, 600W Mean Well SE-600 has a fan, no potting. Also no rating for 5G, or operation to 5000m (derate by 17.5C). Is John gonna use these in the Himalayas?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I got an SE600 to evaluate too. I probably have room for either. It's huge and heavy compared to the UHP500. I just thought the 500 was cool packaging and magnetics.

I wonder if the potting flows under the PCB, to conduct heat to the metal box.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

The whole point of a fanless cooling derating, or chassis spot temperature, is to allow prediction of life in the industrial environment. Maybe there will be a fan, maybe not - the process keeps running.

The 150% 100mSec rating is a warning that there are potential peak power draw limits for low duty pulsed apps. No 10:1 pulse derating for this thing - good output filtering if that's required. Audio frequency stuff with crest factors can be an issue at the low frequency end.

I'll bet the first brick their customers threw at them was orring diodes / parallel supply operation. It's 1990 at Meanwell, in China, all over again.

RL

Reply to
legg

Mexico City.

RL

Reply to
legg

So does Meanwell (wonder), I expect. The only control is weight and curing time, at normal atmosphere.

If you were really evaluating the thing, for a large scale purchase, you'd have to pull one apart, to get a good idea of what you were commiting to.

RL

Reply to
legg

2240 meters. Denver, 1600m. Family ranch in NV, 1700m.
--
 Thanks,
    - Win

They may have routed the PC board to allow silicone to flow below. I would have done that. The theta of an air gap can be cut by a huge factor by filling it with something. The magnetics will need cooling.

I plan to run it at 500 watts and see how hot things get. No need to unpot it and inspect things. MeanWell stuff is very good. We've used hundreds.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Hartford, Connecticuit. Maybe Florida.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Our cabin in Truckee is 6400 feet. You can tell the difference when hiking and especially when cooking.

I could altitude test my box and expense the whole trip.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

They claim 95% efficiency. Only 25W loss at 500W.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Looking at old notes and advertizing bumph, I'd swear they copied my charts.

RL

Reply to
legg

I guess we're all working with the same physical world, after all is said and done.

It used to bug me, no end, reading the 'ratings' for externally- cooled units. Still does.

RL units, that didn't include

Reply to
legg

I can bolt it to the side of the aluminum box and put the exit air slots nearby. The sides of a rackmount box are a safe place to exhaust air. I posted the proposed box layout above.

If we space it off the side of the box, maybe a half inch, we could put the exhaust air slots *under* the power supply. So there would be a torrent of air flow on the underside of the supply.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

So, 500W in 231 x 81 x 31mm, and a TDK model (PFH500H is 500W in

101.6 x 61 x 13.3mm

which I make to be an impressive volume ratio of 1: 0.14 meaning the Meanwell comes in at seven times bigger.

TDK merchants aren't bragging about price, though. Digikey wants nearly three times the MeanWell price.

Reply to
whit3rd

Right, around $250. It apparently uses TransPhorm GaN fets. It does need an external 2-stage EMI filter and conduction cooling. And an external inrush resistor+relay. The "basic connection diagram" wraps about 20 external parts around it. The eval board adds *13* additional output caps.

Doesn't look like the 48V version is available yet.

If I used this, I'd need to add another PC board to support/finish it. And beef up the cooling maybe.