Has anyone seen the innards of a Touch Tunes jukebox?

Has anyone seen the innards of a Touch Tunes jukebox?

If you're not familiar with this brand of jukebox, they seem to be the latest thing in bars and other entertainment places. They are internet music, which means they have nearly every song ever produced, and when you punch in a song, if it's not stored on the jukebox, it quickly downloads it, and plays it. Even more interesting, is that anyone can go to their website, and play a song on one of these jukeboxes at any place that has one (for pay). In other words, if the bar a block from my house has one, I can control the thing from my computer at home, or from a cellphone with internet access.

While all of this is sort of fascinating and bizarre in another way, my reason for posting this is because of their sound quality. The sound on these things is better than most live bands, better than most top of the line audiophile sound systems I've heard. In fact I was recently in a bar where they have a whole wall of professional speakers that would be used for a rock band sound system. They were playing some music, and when that ended, they turned on this Touch Tunes jukebox and the sound quality was far better.

The most impressive part of them, is the low end bass. It gets right down into the 20 to 50hz range and is clear as a bell. You can feel the whole building move. What I'd like to dind outy is what's powering that thing? It's just a typical sized jukebox, yet it sounds like it has some giant woofers, and the amp must have reserve power up the ass. I'm older, so I dont much care for this music the kids listen to, but some of that stuff has very powewrful bass that drops way down in that 20 to

50hz range and it comes out clear as a bell. You can see glasses and bottles moving on tables. Yet, it's all comeing out of that one box with no external speakers.

Their website does not say anything about their equipment, just a site trying to get you to pay for some songs. I really want to know what's inside. What is that amplifier, how much power, what are it's specs, and what brand and type of speakers are being used. I'd like to get my hands on just the amp and speakers from one of these.....

If anyone knows more about them, please share!

Thanks

Reply to
piper

I don't know what's inside, although I am aware that these days audio power amplifiers can be very efficient (they operate class D -- switching), and that at bass frequencies op-amps are fast enough that some manufacturers do "close a loop" around the subwoofer, measuring the cone's displacement vs. commanded position (the instantaneous input audio); filtering can be readily added as well in such cases.

The end result is that accurate and high-power bass is relatively inexpensive these days.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

OK, I couldn't resist Googling this a bit...

Touch Tunes has various different models, but the amps/speakers are apparently from Bose. One web site reads, "These aren't just jukeboxes, they're an awesome, all-in-one sound system! With the help of Bose©, the Touch Tunes Digital Jukebox will blow you away. Powerful amps, speaker, and sub-woofers deliver music like you've never heard from a traditional jukebox."

Not everyone likes Bose that much, but they definitely know how to build audio systems that many people find pleasing.

Interesting article about Touch Tunes pros and cons vs. traditional jukeboxes:

.

...and one can find them for sale on eBay... intriguing... this one has various photos of the innards:

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Wow! People actually spend that kind of money to get fooked ?:-)

I have three 100-CD "juke-box" changers tucked away in a closet, with only the controller visible in our great room. I've had them for so many years I don't remember the cost... for me it had to be cheap ;-) ...Jim Thompson

They're mainly aiming at businesses, but I suppose a few really well-heeled folks might buy them for personal use.

I'm surprised you haven't ripped your collection onto a hard drive so that your Roku units could play them all back yet? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The Roku is in my office, so I can listen to Fox Radio ;-)

For serious music listening I retire to the great room and the

7-speaker surround system... I recorded the BBC re-do of the stage version of "Phantom" a few nights ago, and will get out the wine and cheese and watch that tonight ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Probably the same patented "Acoustimass" bass-enhancement technology they use in their home units:

bitrex

They're essentially Bose products, right? Bose has some sharp people working for them, and they are not all that tied to "things must be flat".

I think the great servo subwoofer craze tailed off a bit after about '05. You can find Velodyne models for cheap on ebay... I expect that subs have just gotten better as people have bought more

5.1 and 7.1 systems...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Thanks to all of you for the info. These links are interesting. I did not know how the songs are stored, retrived, or that a person has to pay extra to get certain songs. The whole thing sounds like a rip-off to me. At the same time, I do think their sound is about the best I've heard.

The ebay link answered a lot of questions. The one we have in the local bar is that same one (Allegro). I noticed that the ebay ad says you cant use it without a contract with Touch Tunes. I bet that could be modified for home use. Actually, I'd just like to get my hands on the speakers and power amp. I can feed it from the over 4000 songs on my computer as well as a cd player, and other input devices, including a record player (yea, I'm showing my age). I was amazed at the small size of the electronics inside. I was expecting a huge power amp with giant capacitors and huge heat sinks. Instead most of that box is full of nothing but air. I wish they showed more of the speakers on those photos, but now I have a better understanding of them.

I noticed the one in the pictures says "Bose" on the front. Next time I get to the bar I'll have to look for that label. Now I know why Bose speakers are always the most expensive. They really got the sound!

Thanks

Reply to
piper

I am a jukebox operator for the last 25 years. Some brands have very good amplifiers, the Rowe CD jukeboxes like a gentleman was mentioning have excellent sound, if you team the machine up with some good speakers it will reward you with some excellent sound, the floor models have also very well made crossovers and come with rockfordfostgate 12' lows, that will give you a nice lunch. The Digital machines are even better. Now, I have to add, that many locations would take a line out from the jukebox and combine their house sound system with that of the jukebox, you may think it's only the jukebox, but it is getting help from outside equipment.

Reply to
Vincent Haseth

He may well have found out by now being some 9 years on :_)

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull