What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD one?

What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD guitar amp, as far as the circuitry?

I am assuming the speakers are made to better handle the bass frequencies, but are the circuits any different?

I am asking this, because awhile back, I bought a generic Bass Guitar amp for a price I could not refuse. It's a small soild state amp, with about a 30W output.(or is ist 50W, websites seem to vary). Has an 8" speaker in it. I mainly bought it to be used to test other equipment in my shop.

Anyhow, I'm impressed by it's sound quality. It does a fine job of reproducing both bass, and the high frequencies. It's only mono, but it has a nice clean sound and can get quite loud. It's just some off brand device, called "Gorilla". (model GB-30). (some worthless links do pop up on google). Made in 87.

Over the years I have played around with many guitar amps, and repaired numerous tube amps, but this is the first "Bass Amp" I have touched. When I bought it, I actually thought I'd have to change some capacitors in order to get the high freqs, but this amp reproduces the highs as well as the bass.

I have yet to find a schematic or manual for it, but it works, so I dont really need a schematic at the moment. (But I like to have one for everything I own). [If anyone sees one, pls let me know]

Then again, I always thought that the "Fender Twin Reverb" amps had TWO reverb tanks. They dont! Just one..... "Twin" is just the name of those models, and there have been many variations in that model over the years, and it has always been a big seller with good reputation.

oldschool

** Bass amps are generally simpler with no reverb, vibrato or overdrive.

There are all kinds of bass amps, like there are all kinds of dogs.

In the tube era, a bass model would normally have a slightly larger output tranny and bigger speaker/s.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

And slightly different frequency response of course.

Reply to
jurb6006

Probably not.

Frequency response is catholic (small c). It does not care much what goes i n, or what goes out. The speakers, filters and whatever else added to the a mp filters (or not) control what the you hear. Larger output transformer = more power handling capacity - that should have been your first clue.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Correct. None of that on this amp. But since I am not using it for guitar, I dont need that stuff.

Then it's really a BETTER amp..... This one is solid state, so it's only the speaker in question. It's a small amp, so the speaker is only an 8 inch, but it has darn good sound. And I generally consider any speaker less than 12" to be a "toy". Not so with this one!

Reply to
oldschool

Sigh. A guitar amp is what it is because it makes the sound that the musician wants. Not because it has better technical specs! It's a highly significant part of the "instrument". The same is true for bass guitar amps, though usually a cleaner sound is preferred.

Bass guitar players would only use an 8" speaker for practice, and then only under duress.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

---------------------------

** For bass guitar maybe, otherwise not.

** I know the " Gorilla GB30" amp you have, it is basically a toy.

Good for only bedroom use for practice.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Take a look at Phil Jones bass. Lots of little drivers made by him. He must use some eq I figure.

Greg

Reply to
gregz