The dumbest design flaw I've seen in a while.

Bought this piece of junk at a garage sale.

Sounds OK enough for what it is. Not using it with an iphone, I just wanted something better sounding than my laptops built in speakers on the front porch for the summer.

The problem: If the thing doesn't detect any sound for about 10 seconds, it goes into power management mode and cuts out the amp. If you're listening to music that has quiet sections you'll get chunks of audio cut out of the music while the amp turns back on!

Good grief, the idiot engineer who designed this! I hope he got his pink slip.

Maybe this winter I'll open it up and see if there's a way to disable this "feature".

Reply to
JW

You haven't listened to music radio stations recently. Most "popular" music is designed and engineered to have a constant loudness.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

This was an issue many years ago - 1973[1] or thereabouts - at BBC radio before 24 hour broadcasting. The transmitters were fitted with a circuit which would switch them off if there was more than a minute[1] of silence.

BBC Radio 3 was and is a classical music station[2]. A minute[1] of 'aesthetic pause' wasn't uncommon.

[1] Whatever. Something like that. Too long ago. [2] Probably the best in the world.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I sorta expect that this isn't a problem for the product's intended demographic: the very large number of young folks who listen to modern pop music, which simply doesn't *have* any 10-second quiet periods in it. It's all been loudencompressified to death, has a total dynamic range of maybe 3 dB on a really good day, and is either THERE or ( )

Thanks for the warning, though - I won't buy such a monstrosity myself. I have this atavistic preference for dynamic contrasts and subtlety in the music I play...

Reply to
Dave Platt

I'd like to find a decent remote bluetooth speaker that doesn't use a battery and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I had some old Sony speakers that I got off Freecycle and got an $18 bluetooth module for music in a car. I lucked out and the internal PSU put out about 30 volts which was in the range for the module. I embedded it and it worked great. I had the speaker close by so I could tweak the volume knob (my preference over on PC controls) but didn't need another wire plugged into my laptop which moves around.

I worked pretty well for about a year until it stopped pairing with my PC. I'm not certain if it is a hardware problem or a software problem on the PC. I need to see if my phone can see it.

--

Rick C
Reply to

The producer was suppoosed to 'book out' any extended silences so that the transmitter engineers were warned in advance, the automatic circuit could the be over-ridden.

The transmitters didn't switch off immediately, they switched to an incoming feed via an alternative route or an off-air receiver tuned to another station in the chain.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Decided winter is still too far away to live with this idiotic flaw.

've-seen-in-a-while/msg1023011/#msg1023011 Fixed.

Reply to
JW

Yes. That is refered to as CCAA. Continuous Cacaphonous Auditory Assault. Responsible for much of the brain numbness plagueing the youth today.

Reply to
doh

VCR clocks.

Reply to
krw

A handheld digital meter with 'power saving' issues an audible warning beep when it has decided to save power due to inactivity, although it is serving it's function with a non-zero or non/overange display. Nothing you do subsequently will prevent the shut-off, except recycling the power before it happens.

RL

Reply to
legg

No clicks or pops at turn-on....?

RL

Reply to
legg

eep when it has decided to save power due to inactivity, >although it is se rving it's function with a non-zero or non/overange >display. Nothing you d o subsequently will prevent the shut-off, >except recycling the power befor e it happens."

I like my old Fluke. Mechanical power switch, but then again it runs off th e mains, not a battery. You would think they have the technology to detect if there is something connected to the probes but the fact is that new engi neers don't know shit and even if they do have never serviced anything in t heir life or even done any product testing.

Now CROs on the other hand might benefit from something that will at least turn down the beam current in the absence of a signal. That would save it f rom screen burn. Some of them had writing speed enhancers so they already h ad most of the circuitry. But they don't make CROs anymore, much to my dis may. I prefer them alot. The LCD scopes might have the bandwidth and featur es but if they only update the display ten times a second they would be use less for much servicing, I need to see it NOW when something is going into shutdown or whatever. Bunch of junk as far as I am concerned. Well, OK I ne ver used a really high end one but I ain't spending $400,000 for a machine that is used to fix the cheap shit I fix and is susceptible to viruses and needs software updates. Fuck all that.

Anyway, all you on here might enjoy a look once in a while at a website cal led "Made By Monkeys" which, while updated infrequently, has stories about shitty designs and engineering gaffs and the like. There are a few interest ing posts there, and I have not gone all that far back in their archives, s o there might be more interesting stuff.

Reply to
jurb6006

I have about 8 of them, and none do that. You just turn the range switch.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 13:09:59 -0400 legg wrote in Message id: :

Nope.

Reply to
JW

I have a lot of them that don't do it either, but at least one 4.5 digit hand-held and another multifuction 'tweezer' measurement unit do-do it. Ain't nuthin' you can do abahd 't.

RL

Reply to
legg

That's no less annoying.

Every one I've had does it. The range switch thing works, for small values of "works". 'cept as you hint at, those that have no range switch.

Reply to
krw

My Tek ones allow you to disable it by holding down a button as you turn the meter on. I think the Fluke 87 does too. (I bought mine in 1988.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

.

I don't know all the model numbers, but the Flukes I have will allow you to keep them on by pressing a button when turned on.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Tek DSOs update at something like 100K traces per second in shotr-record mode (the scope only records one screen-full per trigger). These ran $4K new, and are available on the used market for about $1K. They are pretty good, we have about 4 of them at work. For a lot of work, a plain analog CRO is all you need, but when you need to capture a one-time event, like a power supply starting up or tripping out, then a digital scope is great. You can even capture the signal from BEFORE the trigger event, which can be totally priceless.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson