group photo

We got a tour of the NIF laser. That's the target chamber behind us. On that spot, a Star Trek episode was filmed.

After 20 years of operation, and roughly 8000 shots, they keep making progress, in the sense of learning stuff and getting increasing, over-unity energy gain.

Like the plasma experiments, dynamic instability limits compression and fusion yield.

Reply to
jlarkin

CooL !! Great pic ! Must have been a nice tour.

Is that you in the green shirt on the right side of center ?

Would love to see that place some time. Good movie background too of course.

boB

Reply to
boB

I'm the little guy on the left, back row.

It's about the world's biggest clean room, which is great for allergies.

Reply to
jlarkin

Keeping in mind that those fusion researchers measure efficiency in terms of heat out of the device vs. heat into it. Without considering the energy used in the very inefficient supporting equipment. Overhaul efficiency so low as to be absurd. "Over unity" is newspeak.

BTW - it's "Every idiot can count to one"

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It's a proof-of-principle machine, and mainly intended to let people work out how well nuclear bombs are going to work without having to go to the bother of testing an actual bomb.

Something seriously intended for net energy generation would look very different.

https://hb11.energy/ is actually aimed at that. Fusing hydrogen and boron doesn't release neutrons so it is a whole lot more practical. It needs much higher temperatures but Heinrich Hora has got a scheme that he thinks can be made to work - there's a very non-linear interaction involved. I haven't put any of my own money into it yet - the first stage got over-subscribed very quickly, and I hadn't looked at the web-site since they started raising more capital.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

One milestone was to get more fusion energy out than light energy in. It took about 20 years to understand how to do that.

There are people who think that there is a real path to using lased induced fusion as a practical power source. It's a long shot but not impossible.

NIF is used for a lot of other experiments, with very different targets, so one may as well fire some fusion shots.

Reply to
jlarkin

Pretty cool. Why are you all wearing masks? Here they abandoned them, the pandemic has subsided (and it is summer). Or is it to protect the site you are at?

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

They are required inside NIF, don't know why. They didn't require us to wear booties or walk on sticky pads to de-dust our shoes, like a semiconductor fab would.

Few people wear masks here in normal life. Maybe 5% are masked in public outdoors, maybe 20% at supermarkets, almost none in bars or restaurants.

I think some people will wear masks forever.

Reply to
jlarkin

Well masks are not much help against infection unless everybody wears them but I can understand how people in desperation would wear - say someone on chemo, even if all the mask gives them is just a feeling of better safety. What might be an alternative last line of defence is what what I do, I put a "Fisherman's Friend"

in my mouth when on public transport etc. Don't know if it works and I am no longer addicted to these (which I was to a point where my tongue was constantly dark brown, may years ago while I lived in Germany) but well, they don't hurt. And I still enjoy them.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

try this instead ;)

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hah! Did not know that one - but I am not much of a drinker anyway. One of these bottles would last for years at my drinking rate, whereas I had to buy 240 packages of my "Fisherman's Friend" at amazon.de (so the transport charge would be acceptable) after they disappeared from Sofia.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Bah. Poor substitutes for dark chocolate.

Reply to
jlarkin

lørdag den 25. juni 2022 kl. 19.35.18 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

not a substitute, addition ...

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

do Victory Vs still exist?

Reply to
Tabby

Not sure what this is... I remember there was a brand of cigarettes named "Victory" - is it that? I don't smoke since 1992 so I have lost touch, don't even notice what other people smoke.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff
<snip>

They're a type of lozenge, similar to Fisherman's Friend.

They used to contain Chloroform and Ether in sufficient quantity to make you quite floaty if you ate a whole packet. I used to eat loads of them at school.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Yup. I recognized your mask right away.

Reply to