Potential reference oscillator of the NIF

Back in November 2021 IEEE Spectrum published this article.

You can get a very low jitter clock out of whispering-gallery mode oscillator made with a big lump of sapphire cooled to about 6K.

It's big and expensive, but it the US National Ignition Facility wanted to synchronise 192 laser outputs, it would be a good place to start.

John Larkin's time delay generators couldn't exploit it.

The system I put together in 1988 for a stroboscopic electron beam generator could have. It would need a lot of upgrading to take full advantage of the sapphire oscillator, but we've had thirty years of faster logic and faster mixed signal devices to exploit for that.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman