Insigna TV - GREEN????

We have an Insigna IS-TV040919 Color TV that has been working fine in our son's room for years, A few weeks ago he complained about his TV and when we checked, the color had a greenish-yellow tint to it. We attempted to adjust the TV and no matter what we tried, the color stays a greenish tint. We have been in touch with a few local service places and they said it might be $75-$150 to fix this. Not being sure what's wrong we're not sure if it's worth fixing or even knowing what might be wrong.

Any clues as to what's wrong or if there's anything we might can do to fix it (I'm a mechanical engineer and not afraid to pull electronics apart).

All help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
infiniteMPG

With many CRT sets - IMHO most noticeable with Trinitron tubes - the red gun ages more than the others due to being driven harder than the others. Resulting in the tint you describe.

I dunno your particular model, but a pro monitor has six adjustments for grey scale tracking, R, G and B foreground (whites) and R, G and B background (blacks).

Domestic TVs can have one of these colours non adjustable. Some do this balance automatically.

To find out about your model you need the service instructions - Google for the model and grey scale tracking. If this happened gradually it can likely be adjusted. If it happened suddenly it might mean a repair.

--
*Lottery:  A tax on people who are bad at math.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is likely due to a weakening of the red and blue guns.

Most sets have controls to set up the picture tube, to adjust for normal sample-to-sample variation. Assuming your set has these controls, you can do it yourself. But you have to know how to do it. Once you know what's involved, it's trivial, but it takes too long to explain it here. Perhaps someone can point you to a Website with instructions.

PS: Your son should not have a TV in his room. Toss the set.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Hmm, maybe my memory is going with old age but...

1) The main point with the Trinitron tube was it only had one gun, thus providing a better/different picture because there were fewer color alignment problems. It used that special shadow mask and was the first crt to use rectangle shaped color landings instead of the standard round hole delta pattern everyone else used. 2) The blue gun (in non-trinitron tubes) was the one always pushed the hardest because it's the color the human eye in most people was the least sensitive to, so it needed the highest gain.

And I'm sure on #2, I remember the shorting alligator clips used on some of the color generators that went into the grids of R/G connections on the picture tube. You would kill off the red/green and bring up the blue just below the point of blooming, then bring up the red/green to match and set the gray scale.

Unless Sony came out with a 3 gun Trinitron towards the end (after I got out of the tv repair biz), all Trinitrons only had a single gun.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

If anything, red was the minimum of the three.

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

(snip)

Sony advertises one gun in the Trinitron because PART of the gun is in common with the three colors. It still has three cathodes and heaters however. Just look at the neck of one sometime. As far as the drive for the individual colors, that is determined more by the phosphor efficiencies than the human eye.

David

Reply to
David

If it only had one gun there'd be only one colour. But if you prefer it's one gun with three barrels. ;-)

That matters not - it's the efficiency of the phosphors which determines the drive needed and red is the least sensitive.

Different makers use different methods. Early Sony sets had an external green gain control to make compensating for tune aging easier.

Not so, IMHO.

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *