Green PCB's

How do manufactured PCB's get there green colour and what purpose does it surve.

Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Harris

The green coating is called solder resist. As the name suggests, solder does not stick to it. This reduces the chances of solder going where you don't want it and therefore makes soldering much easier.

BTW it doesn't have to be green though it often is.

Gareth.

To reply to me directly:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Gareth

Solder mask. The resist is used earlier in the process, and is removed along the way.

Our boards are blue. We have one customer who decided to screen all their "static sensitive" boards red. QC then decided that all boards are static sensitive, so now they're all red.

John

Hi Richard, The others are correct but just a note: Some fiberglass boards are green from the start. Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi