GPS spoofing

GPS spoofing:

Think there is some money in this...

Now lemme try this little geepeesss module...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

And maybe some prison time.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

That is where the hunter becomes the hunted...

Please d>GPS spoofing:

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Or an incoming AGM-88 variant.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Bit of an overstatement 'first successful' - I think the Iranians did that.

David Eather

This could be avoided with public/private-key encryption, but I guess it is difficult to upgrade GPS to it.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

On a sunny day (Sun, 01 Jul 2012 16:24:14 -0400) it happened Rich Webb wrote in :

Put one in Washinton and Obama never finds the white house again:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 02 Jul 2012 06:54:24 +0200) it happened Frank Buss wrote in :

Not so sure, my first idea is a simple replay attack, I have some homework to do on this, but for a first test: receive antenna -> 100 meter of rolled up coax -> (perhaps amp needed) ->

power amp (from the magnetron transistor discussed recently here) -> small antenna.

The unit will now see the cable delay in all the signals, how does that work out to 'altitude', flies right into the ground? No, thinks it is too low. Oh what fun experiments one can do, now filter for only one or some sats.. But I still have some reading to do. Wonder if they remove the wiki entries fast enough. hehe I mean for fun experiments you do not even have to demodulate... remodulate. Can I record the whole signal? I sure can record a whole sat transponder...

And it would only be to prevent terrorist attacks on innocent people.

PGP = Personal Gps Protection oops, PGP already exists, how about: Panteltjes Personal GPS Protection? PPGPSP

You Are Almost At Your Destination Take The First Turn Left fffffft BOING grand canyon.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You're an idiot. You are a goddamned terrorist attack on everyone.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

antenna.

This will work ok. But if the receiver also sees a non-delayed version of the signal, the multipath algorithms usually pick up the 'earlier' signal. Sometimes the signal and noise from the system can overwhelm the multipath detection.

I noticed this multipath fixing effect in a case where we wanted the repeated signal but the signal coming through windows was picked up.

Yes, this is quite possible. I did this with USRP software defined radio.

--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to

Dumbass. They put the map on his teleprompter.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He may be driven around by professionals, and rather immune in the first place. In ten years though GPS spoofing in DC could cause some real fun havoc.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

it

->

small antenna.

sats..

remodulate.

The maximum bandwidth is only about 30 Mhz from any one satellite, but = you will need to spoof about 20 satellites, all with reasonable Doppler shifts. Also with different times of visibility.

Two clues: 1. it is easy to jam. 2. it is hard to spoof.

It all has to do with the way it works. Multiple CDMA signals, time stamped data, many satellites, long term complex data formatting. Yes, you have reading to do.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Any would be terrorist who can Google "gps simulation" can find venders of off the shelf systems for generating selected GPS scenarios. What do you think GPS receiver system designers use to test their designs?

Dale B. Dalrymple

Reply to
dbd

On a sunny day (Mon, 2 Jul 2012 20:46:47 -0700 (PDT)) it happened dbd wrote in :

the shelf systems for generating selected GPS

designs?

A terrorist is for example somebody who randomly kills people in random countries across the world. USA is a prime example.

Yes, you can also buy nukes. Amazing why so many people try to make their own. In the capitalist system you can buy ANYTHING. That is why it is called 'capitalist'.

On the technical side, many people, seems you included, think they are automobile 'experts' if they can buy a car, and perhaps even drive it.

Desiring one of the above gadgets is always a bit of challenge, possibly above the head of some in this group, some 'employ' people who are really good and then boast about it as if THEY did it. Hey, we EARTHLINGS can do ... you name it. How big is you circle.

ieee should make their [average level] publications free.

I did a lot of study yesterday, and found some great stuff online. What I found also made me realize how silly this group has become, lots of blah blah, personal attacks, sales pitches / advertising, some misuse their sig for that, politics, I can have no respect for that, and I can do that better than most anyways, but it gets so boring,,, Here is some real good reading for those who ARE interested in the subject: google gps_compendiumgps-x-02007.pdf But much more, and fascinating is this guy and his website:

I think they say: 'The devil is in the details', and I was thinking how do I do that shift register bit...

So, anyways I think I can make 4 'stars' = sats one Spartan FPGA some good old RF transi[s]tors with 3 or more legs (I love dual gates), and some micro to generate the constellation data. GUI user interface, Pakistan will love this.

Emperor Ming ruler of the universe (in cm)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 02 Jul 2012 22:00:00 +0300) it happened mi wrote in :

antenna.

But the receiver has AGC, should be possible to push the sensitivity down with a strong signal. I did look it up and minimum signal from the sats is .07 uV (-160dBW). Not much needed to be louder than that.

Right, I will go for the design of a 4 GPS satellite 'imitator', because it is more fun. Chances are good I will try the replay and delay too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Jul 2012 09:31:21 -0500) it happened legg wrote in :

?Failed to decode?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hearts and minds, not GPS transponders on payloads.

RL

Reply to
legg

On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:40:23 -0500) it happened legg wrote in :

Agreed.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I see two (or more?) desk jockeys at their two (or more?) remote stations, grappling for control of some nasty ordinance, completely oblivious to potential 'collateral damage'. Continual re-upping of firmware gives spice to each 'incident'.

Frankly, the application seems to generate sufficient blow-back, without added complication.

It's a longer term commitment that's required to 'win' the hearts and minds of potential 'collaterals', way before any situation where armed drones might be considered apt.

RL

Reply to
legg