Good source(s) for enclosures / cabinets?

Looking for "high-tech" looking enclosures (that's a customer spec, as I un derstand it).

Something about the size of a old-style camera backpack.

I'm told they want something with shock-absorbing edges, and the closest "i deas" (if you want to call them that) that I've come up with involve modify ing aluminum extruded-type cabinets, but I haven't found one a) large enoug h, or b) semi-custom off the shelf.

Did I mention the customer is cheap?

Anyway, it's been quite a while since I was in the enclosure-research busin ess. Bud, Hammond, Hoffman, etc... dead ends.

I'm listening to Steely Dan (Time Out of Mind - album version, Gaucho) via my Alexa as I type this so please forgive the rambling. :) All help appre ciated!!!!

Reply to
mpm

How many do you need? We usually design our own. It's usually cheaper than buying a stock box and machining that.

lunatic fringe electronics

That type of boxes is quite common, but those do come without the waves and moon above it. Exists in ABS any color too, snap fit, without those ugly screws on the side.

I was listening to China Radio International, they transmit stories about Mao on shortwave all day long. Made me think about Trump.

?
Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

China! They can do anything you want for almost zero cost.

Reply to
Rob

Maybe 80 a year, in batches of 20? Depending on price, I guess we could just stock 100 or so? This product sells reasonably well; predictable sales.

Reply to
mpm

You checked out the extensive Hammond 1455 series?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Those aren't waves. That's Mt Tamalpias as seen from the Bay Bridge toll plaza.

It's a lot easier to machine and add inserts to flat metal before it's bent, as compared to finished boxes. Our custom boxes are cheaper and better looking than buying over-priced boxes and then machining them.

I bet everything makes you think about Trump.

lunatic fringe electronics

You might find a local sheet metal shop and talk to them about it. They might even do the design for you.

lunatic fringe electronics

Look like the local coal pile... ;-)

Yea, probably true. There are some small companies that will make metal boxes like that too. For large quantities : China.

You should bet real money on that, no, but the way it described conversations with - and attitude of Mao, seems to me trump suffers from the same defect. Pity so many fall for his swindle. Some idiot running a country and a bunch of yes sayers that follow him.

Latest US company to get hit is Intel:

And I .. should stay clear of polly ticks or what wazzit.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Better link:

<698839253X6D445TD

Do you live near a coal pile? All we have is a canyon with a creek and coyotes.

What margin did Mao win by, in the Chinese elections?

How many tens of millions of people has Trump killed so far?

Intel deserves all available misfortunes.

The business press hyperventilates over the 3rd derivative of noise. Look at the Dow over the last 5 years. Sure, it will crash again some day, but stock markets have done that since they were invented.

lunatic fringe electronics

Horray! Their clumsy and ancient architectures are loaded with bugs, and their business ethics are measurable in imaginary numbers. Most of the semiconductor industry is like that.

x86 is decades overdue to die, and Intel has failed at everything else that they've tried.

lunatic fringe electronics

Na na na, maybe you refer to ARM and RISC. At the same time my laptop has core I5, and is fast as lightning, and I still have to see that ARM based laptop that can compare. My PCs run AMD, so also X86 arch. and you would be amazed what load factor they run and have been running, for many years some 24/7. Then there are a few strawberries ? or was it blue berries? or was it raspberries, yes raspberries that run some form of ARM and do some much more simple things, and even then can hardly keep up. So what is your alternative for general computing? Not that Xilinx board I hope?

Interesting is that China is working very hard on- , and in fact already has, a new 100% Chinese processor based laptop, super computers too.

If you ask me it is not so much about architecture, but more about coding where the bottle necks are today. In the cellphone, Xpad, etc field yes ARM most places. But I do not call that serious computing, more toys for the masses ;-)

Embedded is a different world of course, large parts can be covered by small micros, from mouse to microwave. And then there are ASICs.

Outdated??? Some supercomputers run Intel, number 2 (in China) uses Intel Xeon:

<698839253X6D445TD

tirsdag den 19. juni 2018 kl. 17.29.28 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

when did you switch from Intel x86 and windows?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

tirsdag den 19. juni 2018 kl. 04.49.43 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

understand it).

"ideas" (if you want to call them that) that I've come up with involve mod ifying aluminum extruded-type cabinets, but I haven't found one a) large en ough, or b) semi-custom off the shelf.

siness.

ia my Alexa as I type this so please forgive the rambling. :) All help ap preciated!!!!

It works but I don't think that qualifies as "high-tech" looking, it is more the style of an 80's radioshack kit

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's not an option for me yet. But a 40 year old CPU architecture and a 33 year old OS, both buggy as all get-out, can't stay around forever.

I'd like a 257-core ARM (or the new open-source RISC thing) with serious hardware protections and a bulletproof protected kernal CPU supervising everything.

Most of my guys here scorn Windows and run Linux.

A fraction of the computers in the world run Windows.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We like it. So do our customers. Have you designed something better?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

tirsdag den 19. juni 2018 kl. 23.27.10 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

s I understand it).

est "ideas" (if you want to call them that) that I've come up with involve modifying aluminum extruded-type cabinets, but I haven't found one a) large enough, or b) semi-custom off the shelf.

business.

) via my Alexa as I type this so please forgive the rambling. :) All help appreciated!!!!

it not a matter of better, in the end how well what is inside works is what is important

I just think that particular type of enclosure looks very "dated" compared to say the aluminium extrusion you also use

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You're thinking of OS/360 plus COBOL, I presume.

That which Andy Grove giveth, Bill Gates (and successors) taketh away.

I'm not clever enough to run Windows reliably.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

But you only machined the flat end panels. Heck, you could buy an off the shelf box and throw out the end panels that come with it and make your own and still save a lot of money!

Trumpitis

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit