Solder station mainly for electronics - recommendations sought

My gas soldering iron has sprung a leak and I need to replace it but it turns out that the range of choices these days is huge so I'd appreciate some recommendations - either on specific products or on what to look out for.

Usage would be occasional, mainly on PCBs and Veroboards.

My preference is a cheap temperature-controlled soldering station. But there are still very many to choose from at astonishingly low prices.

Best match I've seen so far is what this person explained (though the videos are lengthy):

(936)
(936D, i.e. digital)

He spoke about things such as temperature control, temperature calibration, tip grounding and inexpensive replaceable low-voltage irons with standard fittings. But the reviews are a bit old now and I see Yihua model numbers up to 939 - later, improved models?

Fast heat up, power efficiency and auto off would be nice to have to keep running costs down.

On modern 936Ds the digital displays seem to have been replaced by a dial - which would be OK if the temperature were easy to set accurately and calibrate, and still well regulated. For example, here's one on Ebay for £23:

But those are just examples. The basic query is: What would be a low-price but reasonably good soldering station to go for?

As I say, recommendations would be most welcome!

Reply to
James Harris

If you are only going to use it on PC boards and maybe once every 2 weeks or less I would spend a little more and get a hot air rework station. They are on Amazon for about 60 pounds ( think that is what that funny looking L is) . About twice the price of just the soldering iron but you all so get a hot air gun that can be used on the SMD and to install the heat shrink tubing. I have had one for about 10 years. I do have a soldering gun for higher heat if I need it. The soldering irons do heat up very fast compaired to the Weller irons I have used.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

+1. They use RF heating rather than a heating element. Probably beyond the OP's budget but second hand might work. I've also seen projects to make a DIY solder station (RF generator) to use the official handpiece and tips.

Bit surprised there aren't any knockoff Chinese clone RF soldering irons by now. I see Hakko has the FX-100 series but I had a brief look around and didn't see any no-brand RF irons.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The Metcals aren't inductive. They somehow use a ceramic heater element that keeps to its Curie temperature.

Reply to
john larkin

Looks like the original sponge, too. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The patents tell the story. These are all expired.

US 4256945, US 4695713, and US 4626767 .

Use Google Patents to get copies.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Until you really need a high-end soldering station, this $12.98 kit on Amazon will work fine for you:

LCD, adjustable temp, fast heat up etc.

There are others similar to that one, too, that should be ok.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

No good in the UK - it's 110v, UK is 240v.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Good observation. But consider the last line of my post which said: "There are others similar to that one, too, that should be ok."

The point is that for only occasional use as the OP described, there's no need for anything top of the line or high end. Get a cheap one that will do the job and use it until you need something a lot better. It'll be a big upgrade from a gas soldering iron he's been using.

Anyway, check out ebay.co.uk - you'll find many to choose from similar to the one I mentioned.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Have a nice day!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, recommendations from elsewhere were fine. I can translate!

Am curious at this. Why would such an electric iron be an upgrade from a gas one? Until it sprang a leak by gas iron was very convenient and heated up quickly.

Reply to
James Harris

I don't use a gas iron, but the main thing is temperature control. The basic irons, and maybe the gas too, are power limited - the iron puts out maybe 25W no matter what it's doing. With a temp controlled iron the tip can sense if the tip is too hot or cold and adjust the power (which can usually go a lot higher when called for - 60W+).

eg if you're trying to solder a big metal thing, when you touch it the iron will suddenly go cold and the solder will solidify too fast. With a temp controlled iron it'll spot that and ramp up the power so that it keeps the temperature more constant. Result is you make better solder joints because you use the solder at its appropriate working temperature, rather than cold joints because the solder didn't melt properly or the flux didn't activate.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Adjustable temperature, won't run out of gas, no need for repeated purchases of gas, lighter weight, feels better in your hand (maybe?), better for hours long sessions, wider choice of tips (likely), safer. BUT - it is really subjective. You might find it awkward when you first use it because it feels different from what you are used to. Once used to how it feels my bet is that you'll be very happy with it and will eschew your gas iron, except for field use where there is no power available.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

<snip>

Nothing could be farther from the truth, Phil's contributions are of the highest value. I suspect Jan's post is is a fraud, done by a hacker.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Nah, Jan’s just hacked off because I keep teasing him.

Reply to
Phil Hobbs