good free PCB software

Like joe's (vi) key sequences make sense ;-)

The damage I have done in vi to a document when I forget I have toggled into command mode, and start typing text furiously defies discussion on a polite forum!

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

emacs has been used along with the linux kernel (and a very small "init") to provide a complete system, including a shell, file utilities, network utilities, games, programming system, and editing.

Reply to
David Brown

On a sunny day (10 Dec 2006 14:09:49 GMT) it happened "David Brown" wrote in :

A bit like MS windows, but that ran on MSDOS. B L O A T

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, it would be hard to say that emacs is like Windows... emacs never crashes.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

no argument there... it has been said that emacs makes xwindows look like a small package... ,

joe has emacs and wordstar bindings too.

I use jed (another small programmable editor), It's seemingly bottomless undo feature has come in handy on occasion. I've yet to program it (in S-lang) , but have used the regex find-n-replace to convert hex dumps, or javascript, to c

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Actually it would be quite easy to say that EMACS is like windows. In their early days, both had security holes as wide as a barn door.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

While you have your favorite editor, others do also. In the 'nix world vi is an acceptable editor for small tasks. In DOS land my favorite is Multi-Edit, extensible, reconfigurable with several pre-written libraries included. Just another in a handful of DOS macro editors for programmers. The macro capable editor for Borland's DOS Turbo Pascal and DOS Turbo C was very good as well. Wordstar for DOS was a clone of an existing 'nix text editor. EAMCS also has tools for preparing 'nix man files, and TEX typesetter files for math, chemistry, physics, engineering, and others.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Glad to find a maintainer. I just tried to install geda-install-20060907 on my Suse 9.2 system from a fresh CD i just burned. From the log window the base packages (gtk/gdk, glib, pkgconfig) and gnucap seem to be the only things that successfully installed. There was a lot of errors in the log window. Does it leave a log file behind if it is invoked without the --log option? As install does take some time i would rather look for an existing log rather than re-run ./installer.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller