good free PCB software

Three miles each way on a busy highway, no sidewalks and use my cane? You're insane.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I know someone with a KSR38 (if i have the number correct); it is a

*wide* carriage version. It is in Visalia CA and free for the asking.
Reply to
Robert Baer

You need the exercise; good for the heart and the body. I walk 3 miles in about 30 minutes on a good day, and about 45 minutes if lazy.

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you had read the post, try walking 3 miles when you require a cane or two just to walk at all.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Good for you. I can no longer walk more than 1/4 mile, and I sure as hell can't carry 50 pounds or more for three miles. I am gasping for air and ready to faint if I try to push it too far. Two years ago I could walk to the entrance of my subdivision (1/2 mile), rest on a bench at the Church on the corner for a half hour and walk back home. If you live long enough you will have health problems, as well.

I am 54, and 100% disabled. Six years ago I was in decent health. I was working full time in aerospace electronics, and spending hours a day on my feet. Some days its all that I can do to walk to the bathroom, and I have to do that barefoot, because I have a very poor sense of balance.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Have you contemplated alternative approaches?

Here's an idea:

It involves mind control, a lot like hypnosis, but it's working for me.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

I have first dibs on hiring Michael if he does recover. :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Joel Kolstad wrote:

...but will he move from sub-tropical small town to a big city in the rain forest?

Reply to
JeffM

I had a play with geda the other day. It is free, so I guess one cant complain, but the interface is just plain horrible and unproductive. Add to that its like using the old dos protel.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Could you be more specific?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Small city (Grants Pass/Rogue River in Southern Oregon) and not nearly as wet as Portland (which is actually considered a downside by some... there's a big sign downtown across one of the main streets here that says, "It's the Climate!" -- the running joke is that it's actually an apology :-) ).

I've lived in the Willamete Valley in Oregon for the past 12 years now, from one end of the state to the other, and I've always been quite pleased with the climate.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Try kicad, it is also free but has a much better UI.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Yes, as DJ points out, some specifics would be nice.

  • Which of the "geda" program(s) did you try?
  • Which version?
  • What platform/OS did you run it on?
  • What was wrong with it?

This information would better help us understand why "the interface is plain horrible and unproductive". The interface takes a little time to get used to, but once you are familiar with it, the interface is quite unintrusive.

It seems kind of silly, odd, and rather unproductive to post a short negative quib and then not respond for more info requests. Especially since constructive bug/usability reports are taken seriously by myself and the other gEDA developers.

-Ales

--
Ales Hvezda
ahvezda@seul.org

no, emacs is the worlds most powerful editor... at 30+MB it's a bit larger than sprint though,

only 26? emacs has an entire usenet client (gnus) written it its scripting language, (some sort of LISP) also a couple of games (incl eliza and tetris)

having a good text editor is handy

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Sprint has a macro package to emulate Emacs as well as a dozen other editors. I prefer the old Wordstar keyboard commands, probably because that's what I started with.

I cannot believe software can require tens of megabytes. That cannot all be executable code. There has to be other things that take up all that room, such as images or old leftover code.

That's about three times as many as I can keep track of at once:)

I can play the Towers of Hanoi:)

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:

SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler:

Mike Monett

Emulating the key stroke commands of emacs is hardly at all like emulating emacs.

There are no images in emacs, and the code is all real. Go check out the source, it is all open and available to you.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

EMACS is often described as more like an operating system that happens to use a text editor as its "desktop." Of that 30MB, for the average person editing a text file, probably something under 300kB is being "exercised."

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

does the macro package include a full lisp interpreter? ;^>

there's a gui but only a few kilobytes of images are involved in that, there's the on-line help 1700K of compressed files.

the binary itself is over 4 megabytes, containg a lisp interpreter and an editor with both gui and console modes,

by far the bulk of the package is the extensions written in emacs-lisp.

28 'games', an email client a bunch of network plugins a bunch of different text editing modes , sgml, roff, tex, etc... support for 21 different programming languages, from ada to VHDL a usenet client (gnus - occasionally i've seen it in peoples header lines) modes for different (human) languages (apparently no special mode for klingon yet)

losts of stuff I don't even know about...

got that too. life, pong, blackbox, etc... it just whipped me in a game of gomoku.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Apparently a great deal of code is devoted to handling images and fonts for different languages. That might take some space, but it's still difficult to see how that could add up to 30 megs.

The basic idea of extensibility is the key advantage. Here is a 1981 paper by Richard Stallman, describing the design of the original Emacs:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ EMACS is a real-time display editor which can be extended by the user while it is running.

Extensibility means that the user can add new editing commands or change old ones to fit his editing needs, while he is editing. EMACS is written in a modular fashion, composed of many separate and independent functions. The user extends EMACS by adding or replacing functions, writing their definitions in the same language that was used to write the original EMACS system. We will explain below why this is the only method of extension which is practical in use: others are theoretically equally good but discourage use, or discourage nontrivial use.

Extensibility makes EMACS more flexible than any other editor. Users are not limited by the decisions made by the EMACS implementors. What we decide is not worth while to add, the user can provide for himself. He can just as easily provide his own alternative to a feature if he does not like the way it works in the standard system.

A coherent set of new and redefined functions can be bound into a library so that the user can load them together conveniently. Libraries enable users to publish and share their extensions, which then become effectively part of the basic system. By this route, many people can contribute to the development of the system, for the most part without interfering with each other. This has led the EMACS system to become more powerful than any previous editor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sprint is also an extensible editor that runs in DOS. You can write your own macros and make it do whatever you want. You can exchange macros with other users and take advantage of the time they spent debugging their code.

This is much better than editors with canned instructions that you cannot change.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:

SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler:

Mike Monett

On a sunny day (9 Dec 2006 23:02:50 GMT) it happened jasen wrote in :

Emacs is useless for me. I use 'joe', it starts up in milliseconds. It is a full screen editor, and perfect fro programing. Emacs is bloat. Emacs is bloat Emacs is BLOAT repeat And I do not like or underdstand the key sequences.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje