good free PCB software

that stuff,

well,

Schematic capture is quite allright (you'll still need too many clicks to set parameters), but the PCB package has -IMHO- a severe flaw in it: it doesn't link the traces and polygons to the nets. This may seem unimportant but once you've made a short circuit PCB can't figure out which net belongs to a trace. The result is a big mess which is difficult to sort out.

I've raised this issue before, maybe DJ fixed this in the meanwhile?

Another thing with PCB is the footprint editing. It made me write some C functions that can be used to put a footprint together. Positive side effect is that the footprints are absolutely accurate so I can't really call this a downside.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I don't see myself being convicted of illegal business practices. The same holds for the 3 individuals I named. Not everyone has a broken moral compass. In a properly-structured society, people who break the rules are punished.

Point out a place where I can buy a PeeCee without Windoze installed cheaper than I can buy one with Windoze--or even for the same price.

It's called momentum. M$ started early with their dirty tricks and established an ill-gotten beachhead. They figured that the slow nature of government and prosecution might eventually cost them--but by then it wouldn't matter.

It would have been interesting to have seen the penalty phase of US vs Microsoft come under a non-Republican administration as the conviction did.

M$'s success is like the guy that brings home a feast to his family which he got by murdering a guy who earned it fair and square and was bringing it to HIS family.

Reply to
JeffM

There is quite a lot wrong with evolution by fighting - social animals like us evolve by finding better and more efficient ways to cooperate, and the development of Linux is very interesting and potentially socially significant exercise in non-competitive development.

Microsoft's reaction to Linux has been to attempt to generate fear, uncertainty and doubt, which isn't exactly constructive

outcome

It matters a lot - fighting is destructive, peace can be a time of construction and positive development.

capitalism,

So he was free to wipe out Netscape by making continuous changes to the (crappy) Microsoft web-server of the period, so that Netscape kept on crashing when dealing with a Microsoft URL

different.

windowing multitasker.

not even need

on it.

for 499 Euro.

then the

co-processors.

You can, maybe - it would take me ages to learn how to write an operating system.

is competition

losses.

When you have 95% of the market the situation is a little more predictable.

for software

always better.

down.

Why? For modern CMOS power consumption is pretty much directly proportional to clock frequency.

Balmer is stuck with fighting dirty ....

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Sydney at the moment)
Reply to

Nope, no change in this yet.

Most of the footprints these days are either (1) edited in pcb itself, or (2) pre-generated with your favorite language (I use perl, see

for an example)

The old way was to use M4 which was too obscure for most people, although we still use it for the core libraries when it makes sense to.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Den Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:38:15 -0500 skrev Mike Monett:

No not yet. Discussions about how to do is going on.

Yes, and you can turn it off as well.

Yes, in xx different ways, and it's very easy to make your own.

--
Vy73 de OZ1GNN

Christian Treldal
Reply to
Christian Treldal

else

Linux

Once upon a time there was CP/M which used an absolutely stunning amount of RAM, so much of the total 64Kbytes that there was only 56K of TPA (Total Program space Available)! And MPM was worse; only 48K TPA! Then there was Wordstar that easily fit in that humongous space and allowed one to easily and rapidly edit multiple megabyte text files. And there were spreadsheet programs and database programs for DOS that was as bad in memory useage. Such memory hogs!

Reply to
Robert Baer

DJ Delorie wrote

Can gEDA be compiled to run as a "standalone" Windows application, or is it necessary to also run some type of (Linux-Windows) interface/emulation program?

I could probably investigate this myself, but when I last looked at the gEDA website (~ a month ago?), it wasn't obvious to me at that time that it could be run on Windows. So can anyone provide any "off the cuff" clarification on what is involved?

Regards, Geoff Harland. g snipped-for-privacy@optum12net.cos.au (Transpose m & s in address provided - then also remove cuberoot of 10^3 + 9^3 - 1^3.)

Reply to
Geoff Harland

Thanks, Christian. This will become very interesting when back-annotation is available.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:

SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler:

Mike Monett

"DJ Delorie" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@delorie.com...

Windows...

bookmarked

you mean with cygwin? I could not see anithing about it in the documentation...

Reply to
ivan

"Geoff Harland" ha scritto nel messaggio news:456f965d$0$5748$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

it

gEDA

could

on

ok I have found it!! you will find everything you need to install in windows here:

have fun

Reply to
ivan

I bet if you were bill gates you would be happy..

Reply to
The Real Andy

On a sunny day (30 Nov 2006 15:07:42 -0800) it happened "JeffM" wrote in :

There are several shops in the Netherlands that will be more then happy to sell you the PC without windows. And made to custom spec too ,and you can chose parts and configuration yourself.

PC builder:
I just ran a test and ended up with a simple 324 Euro PC without OS.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (30 Nov 2006 16:16:01 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in :

No it is simple.

down.

Intel has now 45nm working, article in German:

lower power consumption comes with it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:14:15 GMT) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Yea, what do we need Vista for ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ivan wrote

interface/emulation

Thanks for the tip; I don't know if I would have found that page otherwise. And I'll certainly have a go at building and running gEDA when I can find a bit of time.

Regards, Geoff Harland. g snipped-for-privacy@optum12net.cos.au (Transpose m & s in address provided - then also remove cuberoot of 10^3 + 9^3 - 1^3.)

Reply to
Geoff Harland

this sounds good, can't quite figure out how to convert capture libraries and schematics.... I quote from ftp site:

Orcad to eeschema converter (tested only on Orcad SDT386 files) liborcad2eeschema is the Orcad library to eeschema library converter Usage:

1 decompile Orcad library file ( i.e. convert it to is ascii form). Usualy the Orcad lib is something as file.lib and is decompiled form is file.src

....how do you decompile .lib into .src?

2 Run liborcad2eeschema.exe with the two args , i.e.: liborcad2eeschema.exe file.src libeeschema.lib

orc2eeschema.exe is the Orcad Schematic to eschema schematic converter

1 Create an library archive (with Orcad Libarch) (something as mylibarch.src)

....when I create an archive it just copies the project into a different dir, managed to create a lib with the design cache but then I am back to square one.

2 Convert Orcad Schematic to .aex form( exchange form) 3 for each .aex file run

....again, could not find how

orc2eeschema.exe (with no extension for filenames)

4 - Add mylibarch.lib to eeschema list libraries (in first position)

5 - Global Labels must be adjusted in eeschema.

....it is quite unfortunate that there is no development support for these tools, in fact it would be nice to be able to convert orcad pcb layout files too...

thanks ivan

Reply to
ivan

Fry's.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Robert,

I've used Wordstar on a CP/M machine and, yeah, it was quite impressive for the time, but I distinctly remember that there were plenty of 3-5 second pauses depending on what you were doing while the program went and loaded an overlay, loaded the next section of your file, etc. I think there have been significant productivity gains with modern word processors like Word of OpenOffice Writer.

It's kinda a resource thing... gas is cheaper in the U.S. than in other countries, so we drive bigger cars... memory is dirt cheap everywhere, so people write bigger programs... :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

So the kiddies can play "Kill the Humans" with photo-grade animation? =:-O

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I once worked as a programmer at some outfit that had MP/M 8-16 - essentially, multi-user CPM. (dual processor - 1 ea. 8085 and 1 ea. 8086.) I was one of about five users; we each had a dumb terminal. Everybody used WordStar (which actually was kinda pleasant to use), but it bogged down so bad that the boss started calling it "WordHog."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise