'Gold Standard' Data Shows Much Longer Droughts in West

Western U.S. is well on its way to becoming a permanently parched wasteland. Desertification always starts with significant shifts in rain patterns that no longer support life.

"Rainstorms grew more erratic and droughts much longer across most of the U.S. West over the past half-century as climate change warmed the planet, according to a sweeping government study released Tuesday that concludes the situation is worsening.

The drought is driving hungry bears like this one out of the woods and down to Lake Tahoe. (Courtesy of Nevada Department of Wildlife) In 2014, a drought drove hungry bears out of the woods and down to Lake Tahoe. (Courtesy of Nevada Department of Wildlife) The most dramatic changes were recorded in the desert Southwest, where the average dry period between rainstorms grew from about 30 days in the 1970s to 45 days between storms now, said Joel Biederman, a research hydrologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture Southwest Watershed Research Center in Tucson, Arizona."

Geophysical Research Letters report here:

Fred Bloggs

Thanks for our Daily Doom Report. That's always amusing.

We went paddleboarding on Gold Lake yesterday. Lots of water.

But really, bears around Lake Tahoe are hardly new.

Where in the "southwest" is that, so we can verify your claim.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That will really disappoint Fred.

We still have a little snow on the peaks here. There is a new glacier down near Squaw.

Another 'carefully selected data range to show what the author wanted' report:

" climate scientist Fangyue Zhang compiled daily readings going back to

1976 from 337 weather stations across the western U.S. and analyzed rainfall and drought data to identify the changing patterns"

Mr. Zhang did not go back very far, the dirty thirties and the drought in the early 1900s were far more severe.

Waste of time responding when the data is so obviously cherry picked.

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

You should write Geophysical Research Letters with your very learned concerns.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

He's probably in "southwest" Florida.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

There is no southwest Florida.

Fred Bloggs

Looks southeast to me.

The Doe character is not forthcoming about which southwest he's talking about.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

There are even times when I wonder if Doe is his real name.

And Bloggs, too.

Reply to
jlarkin

Just so, and add Cursitor Doom.

There are some good reasons for posting anonymously, but more bad reasons.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You would know all about that I'm sure.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

A friend in Manchester mentioned that "Fred Bloggs" is the brit-equivalent of "John Doe" (?)

[which makes you wonder the etymology of each -- and the cultural factors that went into their origins!]

I know a guy who always posted as "John Galt" -- which struck me as a bit too presumptuous. Haven't seen many posts from "God", though...

Reply to
Don Y