Go To Circuits

Gentlemen,

Over the years, I have found that there is one circuit fragment above all others that I go back to repeatedly, and that is the PWM controller in all its guises. I have made more of these than any other electronic sub-circuit over the last 50 years and they come in handy for all manner of different applications. I'm just curious to know what others here find themselves going back to repeatedly over the years and would welcome responses from sed contributors north of the Tropic of Capricorn in this regard.

Cheers,

CD.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Bootstraps, superhets of one sort or another, noise cancellers, cap multipliers, AC-coupled feedback loops, and a cast of thousands. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Linear ramp plus comparator time delay.

Triggered LC oscillator with optional phase lock.

Delay-and-width pulse generator, top secret.

GaN based pin driver, ditto.

Power mosfet boosted opamp.

Switchmode power amp

LT3803 based switchers, sepic and flyback

Opamps as voltage regulators

Sallen-Key lowpass filter

3-pole LC lowpass filter, critically damped

I've done a lot of PWM, but it's mostly generated digitally lately.

Here's an analog PWM generator:

How do you usually generate PWM?

It's part of a PM alternator simulator. Should I tell people to stop buying them?

Hi,

What are the Go To Laser drivers when the first 5 requirements are stability and low noise? Just DC, no modulation.

Libbrecht-Hall or current_mirror++ ? The Howland CCS probably does not need to apply.

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Only half-wits get fixated on particular solutions. John Fields thought that the NE555 was the solution to every problem.

If you are such a half-wit, you end up avoiding problems that can't be solved with only tool you have in your tool box.

Real-world engineers don't have that luxury.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

A PNP simulated inductor with a very long tail and a low noise op amp wrapped round it. The key is to drop lots of voltage in the emitter resistor and bypass the base to the positive supply rather than to ground. Two poles work better than one. With 5V drop across the resistor, you can get down to 20 dB below full shot noise, which has interesting consequences with some lasers.

Cheers

Phil

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Good plan; the transistor has more bandwidth than the op amp.

Two questions: would a MOSFET give equivalent performance to a PNP, and is a small inductor in series with the emitter resistor any benefit (I'm thinking of Rbb/Miller-effect cutoff of the transistor base bypass effectiveness).

Reply to
whit3rd

"No" to #1, and "possibly but generally not" to #2.

MOSFETs are noisy and have crappy g_M for the same current.

The way I build laser drivers, the emitter resistor is pretty large, so as to get below the shot noise on the output. The total noise goes down by 3 dB when the emitter resistor drops 2kT/e (51 mV @ 300K), and I try to run it at least a few volts.

Thus in order to make a difference over a wide bandwidth, the inductor it would have to be pretty massive. On the other hand, once its effect dominated, it would reduce the shot noise characteristic further, without needing extra headroom. Being (ideally) noiseless, it would also win linearly rather than as the square root.

Keeping the transistor stable despite a low-Z base bypass might take a bit of care as well.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I suppose PNP b/c of the slightly better voltage noise than a similar NPN, and the inductor is just the 6 dB/oct drop, or is there more to it?

Now I'm curious. What would these consequences be?

Cheers Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Common-cathode laser. The 'simulated inductor' thing is just a cap multiplier with the base bypassed to the far end of the emitter resistor rather than to ground. Like this:

V+

0--*--RRRR--* *------------------* | \ / | | V / --- | ------- \ / ~~ >

| C C | V ~~ >

*- C C------*-----RRRR---0 Vctl --- C C | GGG

with maybe another pole (also bypassed to V+) for good measure, and a nice quiet op amp looking at the same resistor, doing the DC regulation.

It was all Ti:sapphire lasers and optical parametric oscillators and four-wave mixing and stuff--tables full of expensive parts on expensive mounts, conferences with big banquets, yada yada, all to get about a decibel worth.

Then these Japanese guys (whose paper I can't seem to locate) took a LN2-cooled diode laser, biased it with a stack of batteries and a big resistor, and got 3 dB, because the bias current was way sub-Poissonian and that constrained the pumping.

They had the world record for some years, iirc. (I love things like that--doing something amazing with almost zero apparatus.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Machida and Yamamoto, it was. One of their early pubs is

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs