Fun decap pix from a cell phone camera

Decapped InGaAs APD/TIA device, ex Terabeam, from eBay:

I don't have a microscope, so I took this using a 12.5 mm focal length achromat lens attached to my cell phone with some gycol pthalate wax--it came out pretty well!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

What do you use to decap the plastic, without damaging the dice? I am thinking about moving some dice to new PCBs.

Reply to
linnix

A file. It's a metal can package with a lens.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nice photo. It looks like the APD mounting platform is way off-center, but the APD itself is just about in the center of the pin circle. Which is why it's practically falling off the mount.

Are the various little wirebonded gadgets capacitors?

There are some cool video microscopes in the $50-250 range.

John

Pin 4 is a thermistor, the rest are caps. I looked at another model, and the APD mount is off centre the same way.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Do you have some nice suggestions? I can use google, but I have no experience in that field, and its difficult to separate trash and gold. :)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Next you will be posting snazzy pictures of Andromeda taken with the same call phone! This is soooo cool!

Reply to
Robert Baer