Cell phone reception enhancer?

We live on the edge of the great lakes and I can sight 4 different cell towers easily but our cell phone reception is very poor. Is there any cell phone reception enhancer worth a dam??enhancer

-- To reply to this message please remove the AT after the kgs1 in the reply to address.

GUNS GUNs Guns The National Rifle Association wants armed security at every school, and for everyone to be armed. Guns, guns, everywhere, It worked for Somalia!

Reply to
KG

You're likely to get in trouble if you try to dam any of the Great Lakes.

If you can see the towers, but reception is poor, the likely explanation is that none of those towers belongs to the company providing your cell phone service.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"KG"

** A cell phone needs to an ID message transmit to the tower first to be recognised by the system.

So the only "enhancer" that works is a high gain ( ie directional) antenna pointing at the nearest tower.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yeah, dump that cheap AARP phone and get a service that works.

Reply to
tm

There are devices, but inquire with your carrier. I heard they can help if you bitch enough.

I used to, and still do have poor reception at a resort, both Verizon and ATT. You go out a few miles into the lake and reception is great. I also used to hook into a Canadian tower 50 miles away.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

towers

phone

I used to have great USCellular signal strength, but they changed something and now I only get 1 or 2 bars signal strength where before it was 3 or 4 bars. Still works ok, except in basement workshop.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The major carriers offer a small device that is essentially your own personal cell site. You must have a high speed Internet connection (cable modem or DSL) to use it. The last time I checked, it price to buy one is about $150 but there are no monthly fees. My daughter has the AT&T version and likes it. Its range is just large enough to give you a good signal in your house or apartment/flat.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

DSL is iffy for this device. My DSL (Dial-up Speed if Lucky) won't work with the Cisco system. It's too slow-calls break up and buffer, just like any other download. Cable modem will be no problem.

Reply to
John-Del

--
If you are Verizon,  try dialing  *228   #2.    If you are within 5 miles of
your companies antenna shouldn't need any enhancement.

Oh, by the way, In Israel all school teachers are armed, and in the last 10
years they have only lost 3 students.

Food for thought.
Reply to
papaG