revamping cell phone help

How do I deactivate the phone number inside an old model analog cell phone so that I can use it for 911 emergency calls?

I found this on a website that sells emergency cell phones:

The FCC rulings mandate that cellular phones >without a monthly service contract be able to >make free 911 calls, place credit card calls or >collect calls any where in the US.

On tv news I also saw an item that told about people using this type of phone configuration, needing to place emergency calls but were unable to afford cell phone service and/or new cell phones.

Reply to
C. Nick Kruzer

I've got a zero monthly mobile phone contract. I only pay for the occasional 5 cent SMS messages to family.

Why do you need to do anything with your phone? If you don't pay your bill, the carrier will deactivate you, but legally, you must have access to 112, the international emergency number. Probably 911, and 000 as in Australia.

jack

Reply to
spamfree

I don't have a cell phone. I had a used one but lost it. I'm getting ready to get another.

I have an inexpensive land line I pay for but I have never payed for a service cell phone. I just don't have the money to pay for cell service. I don't have a car either and use bicycle for transportation. I go through areas where phones or people with phones are unavailable. If I were to be injured on the back roads I would have no way to call for help. That's why I am looking for a way to do this with as little money as possible.

Awhile back I bought a used analog cell at a retail phone store and the seller did something in the works that removed the old number. I think he replaced it with something like (123)456-7890. I think it is a standard number that lets phone companies know the call is coming from a cell phone for emergency calls only. ( I lost that phone, might have been stolen)

I thought a cell phone has to be set-up, re-configured in order to use as an emergency phone. Analog phones have larger area of receiving-transmitting coverage and better for emergency. They are not popular as smaller digital phones. Because of this used analogs are cheap.

I will probably be able to get a used analog cell phone dirt cheap from a thrift, second hand store, like Salvation Army, Goodwill etc. The type of store for bums like me who can't afford or refuse to buy anything new except for toilet paper.

I think I can do this if I know how to re-set the phone number of the cell phone, or is this some type of secret method that I am not allowed to fool with because someone won't make money from it? Nothing wrong with making money, I just don't have that much to spend.

This is a "Hacking" question more than an electronics one, I think. Moreover, there is nothing unethical about this hack. As far as I know it complies with the state laws where I reside (California).

Any hackers out there?

Reply to
C. Nick Kruzer

As I understand it, you don't need a sim card installed for the emergency 112 call to work. I would try an up-market phone shop as they have any number of usable phones out the back that are "traded in" for junking. I've never bought a phone, I get the latest-but-one model from my wife who gets the latest for free from our kids who must have the even latest latest gee whizz model to talk to thier mates with. I once had a model that the company could not unlock for other carriers, and the guy slipped me a similar model from out the back. I only have an account because it is zero dollars per month plus calls, and my wife insists I carry it in case I get lost -- Damn!!! jack ps, I hate all phones!!!

Reply to
spamfree

Is it too hard for you to pay attention to your driving, such that you don't injure yourself? Maybe you shouldn't go out without a "buddy".

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise