Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?

Hi,

I have a requirement on a new product for a small monochrome graphics LCD display. (128x64 pixels). There are quite a selection available from various manufacturers. There seem to be about 3 different controllers that are widely used on these devices. Can anyone recommend the controller to go for, or alternatively NOT to go for ?

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

What is your microcontroller ? Changing microcontroller is a option in your project ? Today several Microcontrolers have a built in LCD controller in it, what can make the project a lot simple and cheap.

Thanks

Reply to
Jose Luis Marchetti

The MCU choice is not set in stone, but we will need a fairly compelling reason to switch. The MCU for this portion of the project is an AVR - Probably an ATMega32 or ATMega64. I know of the ATMega169 that can directly drive an LCD, but I do not think it can drive a

128x64 graphics LCD.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Anton,

As it is not set in stone you might be able to look for other solutions. One solution that has less external components and so it might be cheaper, but this will depend of your requirements. I can give my last experience word, we startd using the XCALE PXA255 and when you look at the PCB you just see the MCU and memory, of course there are a few other components, but they were dramatically reduced from the previous project. Less components is cheaper, more reliable, etc..., but, again, it will depend on your project requirements. I just want to tell you that maybe you do not need a LCD controler ...

Thanks

Reply to
Jose Luis Marchetti

I accept your point, and if I can find a more cost effective solution than using a LCD with controller, I would use it. But given that I will probably use a solution that includes a controller chip, which is the "best" ? It seems that most small graphics LCD displays uses either a chip from Epson, Toshiba or Samsung. From these companies there seem to be a number of varients. I would appreciate it if could get some sort of indication of which is the controller to go for.

On a related note. Someone suggested in another thread the new OLED displays. These look very promising. Can anyone give a supplier which actualy has a 128x64 (1 or more colour) display available. I found quite a few companies that seems to be starting with this technology, but could not find anyone that are actually already manufacturing.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Take a look at the Epson SED1335. It drives monochrome passive panels, and has in indirect (indexed) CPU bus interface. This type of bus makes it easy to interface to a bit-banged GPIO port, or to a CPU memory bus.

I haven't specifically used this device, but I have used other Epson SEDxxxx devices and I have found their device design and suport tools to be straightforward and easy to get started with.

Reply to
Mood

ROFLMAO. Replacing an 8-bit microcontroller with external LCD controller by a 32-bit microcontroller, given the LCD res here, is pretty crazy talk. "Overkill" doesn't even begin to describe it. It's like using an aircraft carrier to go fishing.

I would look at the MSP430s and the NEC 78K series (the latter are cheap, but a FIERCE pain in the ass to work with).

By the way, if your volumes are reasonable, consider the ViewTalk ICs from Winbond, very cheap and they can do 128x64. They are designed to run toy applications with speech built in. But, I have successfully used them as "slave micros" to do implement serial-controlled graphical displays.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

... snip ...

A one color display should be quite easy. It also requires no power, and no connections to anything. However the contrast is quite low. :-)

ITYM 2 color.

--
Some similarities between GWB and Mussolini:
a) The strut;  b) Making war until brought up short:

It is an LED display, hence one colour is enough. The LED is either ON in the specific colour, or OFF. Even if the material which houses the LED reflects at exactely the same wavelength at which the LED emits, one will still be able to see an image. The contrast can still be quite high - especially in low light conditions.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Thanks,

This is the type of info I was looking for. It seems that the Epson devices are the most popular with hobbyists, as there seem to be quite a few projects using it. I will probably go for a display with their newer generation SED1565 series device. From a quick scan through the various data sheets, it looks like they support the highest bus speed. (166ns per bus cycle).

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

At least Osram Pictiva displays seem to be available. (For a given value of "available".) At least there are some companies which claim to sell them (google with "osram pictiva oled"). Even Digi-Key have some displays in the catalog, but probably not in stock.

The interface seems to use a SSD chip, and with a bit of luck they are very close to Epson controller chips (at least the part numbering looks similar).

There should be other manufacturers, as well. However, as the majority of OLED displays are proprietary designs, the availability of general purpose displays has not been very good. Looks like the situation is improving, though.

From the programmer's point of view, there should be no difference between OLED and LCD.

- Ville

--
Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)