Free 3D Maxwell's equations solver for cylinder cavity resonator?

Hi,

I'm trying to build an air filled cylinder cavity resonator excited by coaxial probe like this:(view using fix font)

port1 50 ohm coax feedline port 2 | | | ___________________ | | | | | | | | | V | | V -------- -------- ---------- ----------- -------- -------- | | | || | |-------||---------- ^ tuning screw

The coax probe is expected to excite the E field inside the cavity. The resonator is expected to work in TM011 mode. I want to solve the E and M fields inside the cavity and get the S parameters giving the size of the cavity, the probes and the characteristics of the metal. My EM theory tells me this configuration should work. I'm not a paid RF/MW engineer or an academic so I couldn't afford the commercial EM solver. This is a hobby project. Does anyone know if there is any free solver can handle this problem? Is this problem best solved by FDTD? How about MoM and FEM?

thanks, Calvin

Reply to
Calvin Guan

No answer?

I did a lot of research and knew that this is not a simple problem as I thought. I think I need to code my own fullwave solver and hopefully make it available for free if I ever get it working.

Reply to
Calvin Guan

Try this

a7yvm109gf5d1

I worked on my own 3D fullwave solver on and off. Now it's WORKING - well kind of. From my simulation, I found it easier to rearrange the probes to excite the cavity in TE011 instead of TM mode. It's easier for me to build.

Calvin

Reply to
Calvin Guan