FPGA

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

Cheaper in reels though ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

John Larkin wrote on 1/4/2018 7:47 PM:

I think the issue is not so much how, but why? Who really needs 5 million logic cells and 10 MB of on chip RAM? I bet they only sell a few of these... well, by few I mean a few thousand tops. That would be enough to pay for the mask sets anyway. What do you think Digikey's cut is?

It's not quite the depression era guy on the street corner selling apples for $10,000. "I only gotta sell ONE!"

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Reel of 3000, 230 million dollars, less a modest quantity discount.

Worth hijacking a truck or maybe a 747 for.

(Armed people in Silicon Valley used to hold up trucks full of Pentium chips.)

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The government loves such things. The other "big" market for large FPGAs is the hardware logic emulation business. They build emulators to simulate entire CPUs.

A "Peanuts" cartoon fifty something years ago had Lucy selling lemonade for $5/glass. Linus told her that she wasn't going to sell many glasses at that price. She replied, "At that price, I don't HAVE to sell many glasses.".

Reply to
krw

70 euro from AVENT

I look forward to the day when a chicken can cross the road without having
its motives questioned.
Reply to
David Eather

EUR ?70.380

I assume that this is the continental style, i.e. 70 thousand, three hundred and eighty euro. Cheap at twice the price!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I was at a trade show maybe 8 years ago, and a guy had a booth selling logic emulators. Each board had I think 12 FPGAs that cost $3K each, and you could pack a lot of boards into one crate.

lunatic fringe electronics

I still can't believe that nothing has ever crashed, exploded, or sailed past Mars at 90,000 miles^Wkilometers/hour due to this stupidity...

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

a =

=

OH! I missed that one. Would make rather a big difference on the balance= =

sheet

-- =

I look forward to the day when a chicken can cross the road without havi= ng =

its motives questioned.

Reply to
David Eather

Probably find a few in the JSF plane :)

Did a bit of work on the Laser guidance bits...

TTman

Heh, and I thought that our Virtex7 board for $15k was expensive...

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Am 05.01.2018 um 10:44 schrieb David Eather:

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Nah, Joerg wouldn't use a 70-euro part unless you threatened to dump out all the beer in his basement. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

? :-]

That's 'come directly' as in 'is projected at high velocity'...

Reply to
whit3rd

? :-]

Joerg is lot more pragmatic than that. He'd look hard for a cheaper way of doing the job, but if a 70 euro part formed part of the cheapest solution, he'd buy it, just like any other sensible engineer.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Logic Emulation DOD (whatever) BitCoin mining

Reply to
krw

scritto:

no more. GPU are much better for this now.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

I'd think one could build a couple of thousand parallel mining machines in one of those FPGAs.

Reply to
krw

yeah, but why? miners have been using ASICs for several years, because FPGAs cost too much to run.

Jasen Betts