Fluorescent Fixtures

I may have been raised a filthy liberal, but my parents did instill a few good values:

"What's this? You left the light on in your room when you weren't there? Ah, are you made of money? I see...Mr. Moneybags over here.

Shut it off this instant!"

Reply to
bitrex

Also, ~67 degrees F is a perfectly comfortable indoor temperature, even during January in New England.

Reply to
bitrex

About 20'... two car garage plus shop room forward from there before garage-to-house door. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

I used an LED fixture with an illuminated switch and got a night light! It also didn't dim well with an abrupt turn on to about 30% brightness and uneven control. I contacted both manufacturers as the fixture specifically listed that control as being verified to work.

--

Rick C
Reply to

My parents were about as conservative as college professors come (fifty years ago things were somewhat different). I heard the exact same words. The Depression left a life-long impression on them and wasting money just wasn't done. I learned where the light switches were and how to use them. Still do. ;-)

Reply to
krw

make it 2x 3w.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

True in January (you're a spendthrift), though certainly not year around. If you're cold, put on some clothes. If you're hot, have a beer. ;-)

Reply to
krw

;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Today, just use a camera and a little facial recognition.

Reply to
krw

Personally I would just wire it right. I am not the best electrician on the world but I can bend pipe and I can think it out so there is no fumbling. Unfortunately I am thousands of miles away.

I have seen lots of bad wiring. Like where I work now you have to get acros s a dark room to get to the light switch. Who is the brainiac who figured t hat out ? Plus, whoever they use for an electrician sold them a three phase box for a circuit that runs on 120 volts. They also don't know how to "kic k" a pipe, which means to bend a small offset into it so it hits the wall b ut comes up to the height of the hole on the workbox.

Having switches at each end of your path when you pull in would work, and m ake the shop lights separate. If you do not want to separate them there is a special DPDT switch you can add to a dual switched circuit to add as many more switches as you want, each one of them will turn it off or on. The fi rst two are cheap, the third and subsequent ones not so much. But if say yo u got two car doors and a Man door all you need is three, and two of them w ill be cheap.

Leaving the lights on all the time, with a quick check in the net, is proba bly costing you about $27 per month. If you run AC over there and have elec tric heat this is not a big thing. If you don't have gas and have an electr ic stove, and actually use it, that can really dwarf that amount. the way i t sounds I could probably wire the thing right and you would save money, bu t then of course you have to pay me. It will take maybe two years at best t o get that money back - if it is an easy job.

It might be a good idea to just look into remote control. They have them at the local DIY. For about forty bucks and a couple hours work you might hav e this licked.

Reply to
jurb6006

Except for the huge heating and cooling expenses.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Cooling? Pre-WWII? Wearing a wool suit wasn't just business dress, it was a heating plan... and a tall window that opens, IS a cooling plan.

Reply to
whit3rd

47 watts per fixture time 5 fixtures, plus juggling costs on/off-peak ends up with $17.68/month from leaving them on all the time.

I can probably buy two motion detector switches for that, so my ROI is instant ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

The cooling expenses were low. Before WWII people did not generally have air conditioning. And if they had air conditioning it was not for the whole house. I grew up in Louisiana and we did not have air conditioning until about 1954. And then it was for the living and dining rooms.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

23 watt tubes?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Of course, cooling was the reason for the high ceilings, large windows, and transoms.

Reply to
krw

I hate lights being left on too (depression-era parents). But I prejudged Jim as being less guilt-affected.

I dropped the lighting power consumption of our house to half by installing LEDs - and I think I have more/better light now. (Mind you, we had some incandescent, some older fluoro's).

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Even though my parents were born in 1918, they weren't much affected by the depression... farm kids high up in the hills of West Virginia.

But I am not in the slightest guilt-affected... just penny-pinching ;-)

Virtually all of my house lighting is LED now except for a couple of closed ceiling fixtures where the temperatures might rise too high, and the garage fluorescents.

In my office ceiling fan I changed out a monster 150W CFL for 3 x 60W equivalent LED's and changed from a closed globe to a "dish" shaped glass diffuser which allows air flow. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Mean while isn't there some place you can plug in a table or floor lamp with a 8.5 watt LED from Walmart. And just leave that on all the time. The bulbs from Walmart are less than $2 and put out 800 lumens.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I have two LED bulbs on the ceiling of my garage, replacing an ugly fluorescent fixture. Replaced the switch with a motion sensor. That's convenient when I stagger into the garage with garbage bags in both hands.

The LEDs glow dimly from the leakage current of the motion sensor, probably a fraction of a watt.

lunatic fringe electronics