Fluorescent Bulbs

I need to find out what the actual heat output for T8 fluorescent bulbs is. I know that internally they create a lot of heat most of which is converted to visible light by the phosphorus coating on the inside; but how much heat is finally given off thermally that has to be removed by an A/C system. Also how about the ballasts? Do magnetic ones give off more heat than electronic and how much more in general? If anyone could provide some direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeremiahwd

Reply to
Jeremiahwd

It sure appears to me that modern T8 fixtures with electronic ballasts have a power consumption (lamps and ballasts combined) close to 32 watts per 4-foot lamp (bulb). Nearly enough 100% of this becomes heat in the room, whether at the fixture or where the light is absorbed. Multiply by 3.41 to get BTU per hour.

T12 fixtures with 40 watt lamps and "commercial grade" magnetic ballasts consume roughly 45-46 watts (including ballast losses) per 4-foot lamp. Subtract maybe 5 watts for using 34 watt lamps instead of 40 watt ones (I suspect the ballast losses will increase a little). Residential fixtures may do about the same or they may do less, since many garbage residential fixture ballasts and "cheap shop light" ballasts put out much less than full power. I have seen a few of these being referred to as "25 watt" for 4-foot T12.

Nearly enough 100% of the power consumption becomes heat. Most becomes heat at the fixture, some becomes heat where the light is absorbed. Multiply the total power consumption in watts by 3.41 to get BTU/hour.

Don Klipstein

Since essentially all of the fixture wattage is ultimately converted to heat, simply assume that the total energy emitted by the light fixture must be removed by the air conditioning system.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

100% of the power consumed turns into heat. Some of the power is light for a little while, but that still ends up turning into heat unless you're shining it outside the building.
Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie