Enclosed Fluorescent Tube Safe?

I would like to mount a 15W fluorescent tube in PVC pipe using rubber chair tips on the ends to hold it in place. Can anyone see any problems with this, with regard to heating, etc?

Yes, it will be ignited with suitable voltage, and yes, I know it won't light the room. :-) it's a science experiment.

Brad Fisher

Reply to
Brad Fisher

Yes.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yes, it's gonna get hot. Approximately 15W worth. I wouldn't leave the house with it running.

Reply to
mike

Try it with a thermometer enclosed.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Mounting fl tubes in closed plastic pipe is standard practice where the tube needs t be protected against breakage. It works ok.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

If it's science, then just go for it, and write down your observations.

If you have a foregone conclusion, then it's not "science." (see "climate change.") ;-)

IM!HO, 15 watts shouldn't present a problem, and you always have a fire extinguisher on hand anyway, right?

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Mounting fl tubes in closed plastic pipe is standard practice where the tube needs t be protected against breakage. It works ok.

I have a 40 watt UV tube in an enclosure on my pond...no problems

Reply to
TTman

Sounds a lot like a work light.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ah, "foregone conclusion". That explains your position quite well.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Which one? That warmingism is a religion?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise