Fluke 87V - any reason not to buy?

Started out with 19 horses but there was a "racing version" with 37hp:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It helps when the combined weight of the vehicle and its passengers are under

500lbs.? :-)
Reply to
Joel Koltner

Actually it wasn't even very light, it had a full dual-side box frame underneath and the gasoline tank was supposedly in a rather bullet-proof location (between the frame sides).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I had the 32hp version. ...Jim Thompson

Mine had 16 horses. In the following model year (1970) Citroen upped that to 23hp. They were still called the ugly duckling or duck. Then a

2CV6 came out, I think also around 30hp and that one was called the "Power Gander". Of course none of these names were officially recongized by Citroen. 1970 they also went to a push-button operated starter with, tada, innovation, a solenoid that engaged its gear. Mine still had a steel rope under the dash which you had to pull. Of course, since I was tooling around sans battery I had to use the crank. Chugga, chugga, poof, chugga ... ka-clunkah ... *POOF* ... vrooom.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Did the 2cv (early '60s) have the air suspension like the big sedan? I seem to recall it was fairly harsh - at least as compared to the sedan's suspension - so I suspect it didn't, but don't know.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

No, it had a very unique non-air method: Long arms and adjustable (!) springs in their pivots, on all four wheels and independent. The shock absorbers were disks in those pivots and could also be adjusted. The ride was extremely smooth. You could barrel across a rough RR crossing at 50mph and the car would gently and slowly rock, many yards later. Do the same in a "normal" car and stuff goes flying or it might get uncomfortably close to a loss of control situation. In that respect the

2CV was amazing.

Once my 2CV was the only car that succeeded to get heavy equipment across a muddy field for a ham radio contest. It had rained for days. Several guys lifted the front, all the way out, while I slid a piece of wood under the front wheel arms and fastened it. Now the car pointed upward almost like an aircraft on rotation. The undercarriage was completely smooth so I didn't bother to do the same in back, I just let that slide around on the mud a bit and we got there. Heck, you could barely walk that field, on every step the boots would make a slurping sound.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

- The 87V is a good meter. I work in a metrology shop, and I've seen a lot of them go by. They tend to hold calibration, and will survive a fair amount of abuse, and sometimes that extra digit is necessary. You will occasionally see a 5 1/2 digit handheld, but that last digit is largely bogus, just noise. The main thing that may be urged against the

87V is the price.
Reply to
Palinurus

Fluke stuff is good but they better get their hands around the pricing issue, and soon. I've got several Chinese meters here that aren't bad at all. With scopes it sort of happened already: The Taiwanese DSO here in my lab runs circles around similarly priced stuff from Tek.

The only thing I don't like with Chinese meters is the red color of the holster. Maybe the politburo mandated they'd have to be red ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've been very pleased with Chinese meters, but it is exactly as Dave indicated in his blog. My confidence in the cheaper meters was based on comparison with the Fluke's readings. When I needed relatively exact measurements, I'd use the Fluke. Most of the time, ballpark is good enough. Comparable Chinese stuff was as accurate as the Fluke, but the confidence was always with Fluke. In one case I needed to monitor dual Iout & Vout and single Iin & Vin on a supply design. No need to use six Flukes! I just had to watch for variation on the output as input was varied, so the Fluke just became the "calibration standard" for the other meters.

That said, when the old Fluke died, it justified buying a new one - which arrived yesterday. :-) The manual that came with it is in 15 languages. Fifteen!! Does that mean I need to run to Berlitz & sign up for lessons before I can figure out all the features? :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Even Asian gear has that now. My Instek scope came with lots of language options for the on-screen menu. With many of them I had trouble finding out what they were because the language setup identifies them in their native character set. The written manual is English-only though. I find it sad when companies print a 2" thick stack knowing that 90% of it will either never be read or thrown away because everyone uses English anyhow. They should give me those trees instead, cuz it's friggin' cold and I can use the firewood :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

meter=20

that=20

pricing=20

=20

=20

=20

I'll second that. Throwing on extra blankies and turning up the thermostat for the last couple of nights. At this rate my energy bills are going to be out of sight this season.

Reply to
JosephKK

[>>> level snip]

I finally turned on heat last night.

Slept much better ;-)

Awoke to a wind-damaged patio... table with glass top, and 4 "captain's" chairs tossed into the grass.

Amazingly it appears the glass did not break.

Now that the sun is coming up I'll go out and see how bad off it is :-( ...Jim Thompson

                     In wine there is wisdom,
                    In beer there is freedom,
                   In water there is bacteria
                                               - Benjamin Franklin

Get a wood stove. Seriously, best investment we ever made in this house. Global "warming" has led us from 2-cord winters (where we got socked with a $709 propane bill for one (!) month and got the wood stove) to

4-cord winters. And I am not sure whether the purchase of 5 cords wouldn't be advised for next winter.

Can you imagine what propane heating would cost us this winter?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

This year we went directly from AC to HP without a day in between. Since, we've only had the heat off for a day or two. Last year it was two months between AC off and HP on.

I like it cold when I sleep. In VT we'd back the heat off to 58F at night (64F during the day, unless we were home and especially cold).

It takes a *lot* to break that stuff. When it does go, watch out!

Reply to
krw

I think we're going to put the gas logs in the fireplace this year.

Propane varies widely across the country. In VT it was about 3x what oil cost. Dunno here, yet.

Reply to
krw

I turned on one of the heat pumps last night ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                     In wine there is wisdom,
                    In beer there is freedom,
                   In water there is bacteria
                                               - Benjamin Franklin

[...]

It's way more than gasoline out here in CA even though it has less BTU. So we thumbed our noses at the oil companies and went to wood heat. But I wish we had a bigger stove, with all this cooling trend. Despite what experts say I now think that bigger is better.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

house.=20

=20

I would certainly pay attention to how efficient it was over its heating power working range.

Reply to
JosephKK

Well, that's just it. At the 20% to 50% level it's supposedly around

78%. But California seems to get colder every year. So, more and more we find ourselves running it close to full bore and that's where the efficiency drops off. Still a clean burn, no smoke, but lots more heat escapes through the chimney. Modern wood stoves can operate quite well at the lower burn settings but not when you run them with primary plus secondary air fully open. Probably because they don't have much of a baffle system like older stoves do. Then they start eating wood as if it was popcorn. At this rate I am not sure our 4 cords will last through winter :-(

This morning it happened for the first time that we needed wood stove + pellet stove + central heat to get the house warm. Here in the office it was 58F at 7:00am even though wood and pellet stoves ran all night.